Problem with Modules! Please help! Thread last updated on 2006-02-22 07:45:47

Posted by member 305604 on 2006-02-10 10:41:27

I installed Litestep on my computer and after I restarted, there was no task bar or start menu or anything! Just my background. A little window came up and said that in order to use Litestep, I needed a whole bunch of modules that weren't installed on my computer. It had the option to download them but when I clicked it, all of the modules had red X's by them. I found a way to navigate to my contol panel and connected to the internet manually and tried to download them again but I got the same results. Is there a place where I can download these .dll files seperately now that I have my computer functioning normally again?

Thanks for your help.

Posted by member 148416 on 2006-02-10 10:48:39 link

Yep, just go to http://www.ls-universe.info and navigate to the modules section. You can download all the zip files manually and them place them in your /litestep/modules/archive folder so that NetLoadModule (that little window that said in order to use litestep, you needed a whole bunch of modules that weren't installed on your computer) looks there before looking on the net.

As long as your connected to the internet when switching themes, that shouldn't be a problem. If I were you I'd just connect and reload litestep and let netloadmodule do it's thing, it should work :)

Good luck.

Posted by member 305604 on 2006-02-10 11:02:35 link

Thanks for the quick reply. I must say, I find this a little confusing but I'm open to new things. I love using programs like this and that's why I was interested in LS. I've used StyleXp and WindowBlinds in the past but this one looked a lot more interesting. I'm still not really sure exactly what modules are required for LS or what the most common ones are but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Posted by member 305604 on 2006-02-10 11:41:13 link

Phew! I got it to work. I didn't know that you could manually select the modules. Okay... Awesome program! I love it already!

Posted by member 305604 on 2006-02-10 12:06:51 link

Okay... Now that it works, I'm having a little trouble. The text in the meuns and taskbars is way too small. I have my resolution set at 1280x768. Is there a way to change the text size? Don't get me wrong, I like small text but this is kinda ridiculous.

Posted by member 1949 on 2006-02-10 12:41:54 link

All themes use different fonts.
Install them by looking in the misc folder of the theme and
place the ttf font in your windows\fonts folder manually.

A recycle of Litestep is needed after changes are made.

Info:
Shift+Left Click for theme options
CTRL+ALT+F1 LS menu

Posted by member 148416 on 2006-02-10 15:05:50 link

Since you are *brand* new to litestep, you might want to do some reading ;)

http://wiki.litestep.com

There's a lot to know with litestep, but first and foremost you need a better idea the basic concepts of what litestep does and why.

Posted by member 301160 on 2006-02-21 18:48:02 link

jdub, THANK YOU for the solution and validation that it's normal/accepted to get the modules separately. I'm new to Litestep had the same problem and was annoyed with downloading the modules manually... it just didn't seem right, and I hadn't found instructions on where to put them, although I did get things working.

All the anti-n00b replies in these threads are very discouraging, and I'm used to dealing with computers every day and comfortable with DOS, scripting, and even a little bit of programming.

Further, it's frustrating having many of the module download sites down. I think my problem may have been my work blocking whatever port(?) LS uses to grab them. I turned all my other blocking methods off when trying to get NetLoadModule to work, and even added another site to the list that also didn't work (was referenced in this forum, I believe).

[enter semi-rant mode]
Anyway, so I've left off LS for a month or two because of the frustration and *generally* unhelpful e1337ist replies.

Yes, some of us are new and don't know what's going on. Yes, sometimes we should look harder for the answers. Still, replying to a thread simply to bash someone for asking a "stupid" question doesn't help. Just let the thread die if you don't want to help. The prolific negative responses made me almost leave off LS altogether, and I suspect many others have felt the same.

Maybe that's what some LS people want. I know Napster pissed me off since it made things mainstream and everyone could download music for free. But, if it's not mainstream, there's not as many choices, and not as much development.
[exit semi-rant mode]

So, anyway, again, thank you.
STAT1STICK, if I get a lot of flak, sorry for hijacking the thread. :P

Posted by member 1 on 2006-02-21 22:52:50 link

It is not normal nor should it be accepted to download modules seperately. NLM was designed and built so you didn't have to. Now, there are reasons why NLM doesn't work, most commonly the use of a web proxy. NLM doesn't use any strange port to download modules, just port 80.

As for your rant...there are 2 types of n00bs. One that will look for an answer and ask an intelligent question to get an answer, and one that doesn't want to waste the time to get an answer. Its not about pushing away n00bs...its about getting intelligent, non lazy, LS users. I've said this over and over again and nobody seems to believe me. LS is the MOST COMPLICATED application you will ever use for your PC. Even in this thread for example, "I've used StyleXp and WindowBlinds in the past but this one looked a lot more interesting." StyleXp and WindowBlinds aren't even close to LS in form, function or design. People don't understand that and don't want to. Until they do, they will not be able to use LS. I will admit that things have gotten out of hand around here before. Some people deserve it and others don't. One day though...these n00bs that stick around will understand that it was for their own good.

Posted by member 148416 on 2006-02-22 07:45:47 link

Well said....

To both of you ;)