Need help on a simple thing Thread last updated on 2005-12-15 01:14:01

Posted by member 290557 on 2005-12-10 18:12:06

I'm a litestep noob and I downloaded this theme

http://www.wincustomize.com/ViewSkin.aspx?SID=1&SkinID=380&LibID=6

I installed it and its great. The only problem is that the default background colour for msn messenger windows, notepad, microsoft word etc, is pink. This wouldnt be soo bad if the highlight text colour wasnt also pink! So basically when you highlight text, you cant see what your highlighting because it just blends in with the background. Now I would like to change this. I tried editing the theme.rc in notepad, but i cant see anything in there which relates to these specific colour defaults. Can anyone help me change the default colour? Thanks in advance!

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-12-10 18:18:19 link

Sounds like it just changed your system colors (with syscolor or whatever that module is). Just change them back in your Display Properties. Then you can go in to your \litestep\personal\personal.rc file, and uncomment (remove the ";") SCNoChange so it won't happen again. (Hint: change to Austerity first. That will change your colors to something more agreeable if you are feeling lazy.)

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-11 02:34:06 link

And may I add...

...if you have problems with a theme you downloaded from another site, complain there first.

...think before posting.

...don't take this post the wrong way...Im just tired of repeating myself

Posted by member 290557 on 2005-12-12 19:29:14 link

perfect, cheers for the response.

Also for DeVilbOi, the problem in question is for litestep in general, not the theme, this is the litestep site.

Cheers

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-12 20:56:52 link

Then don't post about the theme that you downloaded elseware if it is not relevant.

Posted by member 290557 on 2005-12-13 06:03:51 link

Are you stupid? Your comming across as stupid. If you have a problem then you give as much information as possible which may be relevant to the problem. Go troll somewhere else.

Posted by member 5575 on 2005-12-13 09:41:41 link

Oooooh boy. Hang on, I'll get the marshmallows.

Posted by member 1316 on 2005-12-13 11:46:23 link

I got the hershey's bars and graham crackers!

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-13 14:12:40 link

*sigh*

You know what...Im not going to ban you this time. You are a complete moron and need as much help as you can get.

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-12-13 20:32:07 link

he does have a point about the "as much info as possible" thing.

yell at users for not posting enough, yell at them for posting too much!?

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-14 01:56:09 link

It either has something to do with it or it doesn't. Thats all I was saying. I guess I should be more understanding about these sort of things. But I would put money on the fact that the comments in that theme have something to do with this same issue/problem/feature. And really...is it that hard to go back and click on your saved appearance? Its not like it gets set every time LS starts.

Posted by member 290557 on 2005-12-14 14:40:24 link

"It either has something to do with it or it doesn't. "

Seeing as I'm a noob, how am I meant to define whether it has or hasnt? Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not what the forum is for? Answer me something dude, whats your actual role in litestep, did you help create it or are you just an ego inflated moderator on this board? I certainly hope its the latter, because with an attitude like yours, you would certainly find the litestep community dwindling.

"You are a complete moron and need as much help as you can get."

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-12-14 15:03:55 link

Well, I for one praise Dev's control in some places.
If ever I laughed at/mocked him its because, in his place, I would have quit a long time ago.

n00bs asking dumb questions is kinda funny for me now, but if it was my board, I would tell them to get f(*&ed and look for the answer.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-12-14 15:38:02 link

DeV actually has a history with Litestep beyond modding this board. I've seen him given credits for writing docs and suggestions to things like the LSThemeInstaller.exe. On the surface, he might seem like just a grumpy board mod, but he has contributed in the past beyond that.

Modding a forum where the same simple, stupid, questions are asked over and over would certainly get annoying. It's easy to look inward and develope a seemingly objective opinion, but at the end of the day, you can just walk away from it. DeV, while sometimes grumpy, deserves credit for sticking it out.

Posted by member 1316 on 2005-12-14 15:50:10 link

well, he IS a grumpy board mod (he doesn't just SEEM like one), but....wait, I had a point somewhere....oh, yeah. if you have a valid question (ie. one that hasn't been answered 100 times before), then he's usually more than willing to help, unless if it's just something so simple that it boggles the mind. but if you don't at least try to help yourself, he (as well as the rest of us) will more than likely just flame you to a crispy finish. besides...you dl'd that theme almost 6 months ago. if you couldn't figure it out in that much time, there's something wrong...

Posted by member 290557 on 2005-12-14 22:30:49 link

Let me get this clear then fractaldesign. Your saying that if your new to litestep then you should be screwed when it comes to finding help? Yes? No? I downloaded this program, thought it was great, had a little problem with it, read through the documentation on it and couldnt find a solution. So I look through the forums, cant find anything on it and post asking for help. Are you saying that I shouldnt be allowed to? What do you do when you are having problems with software that your only beggining to learn about? This thread didnt start with "dear DeViLbOi..." or "dear fractaldesign..".

Deuce, I downloaded litestep for the first time 6 months ago and used that theme. I had the problem and the guy never replied on the thread about it so I uninstalled litestep eventually. Now I've decided to go back to and now that (thanks to xcal" I've found a solution, I'm happy to keep it.

So what is the problem posting a question on a forum which is specificaly for the software in question? Am I not allowed to be a newbie? What if everyone showed the same attitude to you guys when you first started to play around with litestep? Oh, figure it out? Theres nothing in the documentation and I'm not a developer, and like the majority of litestep users, I use the software for its purpose, so I do not understand the ins and outs of it. And this is not the developer forum is it?

Very good

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-12-14 23:13:30 link

hey I was on your side!

Posted by member 290557 on 2005-12-14 23:26:19 link

Its just your last post didnt seem that way, sorry if I took it the wrong way mate!

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-14 23:46:32 link

When I started using LiteStep I was banned from the sole irc channel for asking a question and there was no website to post questions on. You just had to signup for a mailing list, troll through 150 messages a day, and hope someone found your question worthy enough to be answered. Personally I have no problem with people asking questions here. My problem starts as soon as people don't research or try to fix a problem on their own. This question to me isn't even a LiteStep question. If you don't know how to change the color scheme of your Windows you need to RTFWM. The fact that LS changed it should have nothing to do with resolving it right away. Now, if you also would have RTFM'd the OTS2 docs you would have found a theme.ini setting to change to fix this. But you were lazy and posted something...so you get flamed. Deal with it.

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-12-15 01:14:01 link

sonlc: My second post wasnt directly about you, I was just sticking up for Dev ;)

Its a complicated mess.
Yes, sonlc is lazy, but maybe sonlc tried searching the forum but discovered the search was "bugtasted" so posted with lots of info...

Indeed if it was my forum I would have a range of tests the user must pass in order to post a new thread... (things like: "Have you read the wiki?" "Using the latest build?" etc) but then I think my forum wouldnt be that popular... ;]