After loading new theme I can't get anything on my desktop Thread last updated on 2005-09-07 20:31:28

Posted by member 264613 on 2005-09-07 15:08:57

After loading a theme within LiteStep, it requested I download several modules {which I did}, some of them didn't download correctly and then I received several popup dialogs regarding HOTKEY errors. The problem is that after exiting the 20 or so HOTKEY error dialogs, I am left with a desktop that contains the wallpaper of the theme but absolutely nothing else is functional. There is no taskbar, right or left clicks on the desktop do nada. So, my question is, what do I have to edit to disable LiteStep automatically loading as my default shell? I am using Windows 2000 Pro and am currently using a different account on the machine. Can anyone help me with this?

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-09-07 15:39:11 link

I'll never understand why people post with a theme problem, but don't mention WHAT theme.

Secondly, you're using an old theme. Install only OTS2 themes until you know what you're doing.

Last, about not having Litestep load automatically as your default, have you looked at the shortcuts Litestep made when you installed it? You of course used omar's installer and updated to RC3.

Posted by member 1 on 2005-09-07 16:00:12 link

The fact that still baffles me is that they probably downloaded it from some other site just to complain about it here. It isn't our fault that these other sites have cruddy themes.

Posted by member 264613 on 2005-09-07 16:13:58 link

I'm sorry, actually I do not recall exactly "which" theme (of the 25 or so that I downloaded to try out) it was. And as for looking at the shortcuts Litestep made when I installed it, I can not look at ANYTHING on that account except the wallpaper that came with that particular theme. So once again, my question is, "Is there no way to bypass Litestep loading as my default shell on that account?" I considered uninstalling Litestep and then reinstalling it and using a bit more caution with the themes, but as that account was also an administrator account, I can't uninstall it from this account. I could simply remove the account and start over but I really hate to do that. Surely there must be an easier way to correct the problem. Am open to any reasonable suggestions. But to be quite honest with you, I sense that most people answer forum posts more with a desire to criticize than to actually help. So it is with a degree of regret that I am posting this at all. But if you can help or have a solution, I would appreciate it and thank you in advance.

Posted by member 264613 on 2005-09-07 16:28:16 link

Actually DeViLbOi, all of the themes and the app itself were all downloaded from this site. What is this? Your little personal flame forum? Don't jump to conclusions please. I have been away for some time but this isn't the first app I have used of this type. The hardest one maybe, but not the first. Surely you in your infinite l33tn3SS could devote a minute of your time to try to understand the problem and offer a reasonable fix, or is that too challenging? It is after all much easier to condescend than it is to think objectively. But getting back to the problem at hand, I really don't see the necessity of knowing which THeme it was in order to correct the problem. Perhaps to remove it from your site, yes. So I will make an effort to backtrack and determine which it was for that reason if nothing else. But it would seem to me that one of you coders out there could direct me to the file I need to edit properly to load the Explorer shell by default. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Constructive criticism will be noted and processed. All others can kiss my lilly white ass :-)

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-09-07 17:29:06 link

Be nice to the little helpers ;) or youll either be a) Banned b) thread locked c) no respect from anyone who reads this thread, well maybe some "understanding" from other banned/locked/no respect users :D

Did you reboot after you installed LS?
There is a nice hotkey menu that should work: ctrl-alt-F1
From there you can run "C:\" and navigate to "desktop" and look at the shortcuts.
You can also switch themes by navigating to "$themesdir$" and opening "themeselect.rc"

There are also a bunch of utilities in (funnily enough) "$litestepDir$Utilities\"

Good luck.

ps: Its nice to paragraph/line space IMO, it makes your babble more readable, and therefore helpable ;)

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-09-07 17:31:26 link

ctrl+alt, press del, taskmanager (called task manager for a reason)
file, new task (run...)
explorer.exe
click ok

Go to your start menu folder...shortcuts are there. Double click the one that says "Set explorer as shell."

Or you can surf to the \Litestep folder, and open "Switch to default theme."

Posted by member 264613 on 2005-09-07 20:31:28 link

Gentlemen,

Please accept my humble apology for my lack of patience.

xcal, your solution -one that was so simple its embarassing- worked. Thank you.

Now I intend to uninstall this thing and start over. More carefully this time. Thanks again.