Posted by member 12025 on 2004-08-10 22:31:22 link

People, and taste. That's why. Good design is good, bad design is bad, and impressive design is timeless. However, once you are into the 'good' range, there's a lot of personal leeway.

I don't like ugly things...but once it doesn't look ugly and out of place, it's good enough, IMO. The utility and options, and simplicity/consistency of design speak for themselves beyond that.

Graphically, my next theme will have reached a peak--nowhere to go. Still pushing for more features in the package, though.

On other posts:
-Installer: bah. I remember when your theme was like an LS distro is now. It's so much better with the installer.
And really, nothing that you could get at then is hidden now, you just have to look for .rc files. However, being a PC user who began learning in MS-DOS, and is still at home with a CLI, I may have some insights others don't get for awhile.
-Flexibility: as before: new ideas. You can't do anything new without new tools. Until xLabel, that's where I was stuck, for over a year. Theme away, but there's always a hitch. Something you fundamentally could not do. That is gradually dissappearing, even with popup modules.
-Holding out: I can believe that. I like helping people out when I can, and want my work to be of some quality. My first two themes I released, I did so more because of the fact that nothing was like them than out of any real caring.
However, being a general tech guy, I know about avoiding those people who want you to be their tech support ***. When most people realize that what you do took a lot of time, even if it is a fun hobby, and appreciate it, all is well. When they don't...yecch. If you cannot discriminate between these people early enough (which Iv'e gotten pretty good at in the last few years), I can easily see not wanting to release even themes that would change the way we can look at LS, as non|step and Vodka Martini. After all, there are only so many hours a week one can devote to a hobby like this, and when people you're trying to help (which you pretty much have to, being the theme creator) are not appreciating it, it really isn't that fun anymore.

I apologize for the long post, but recently I have been interested in doing more and more with my themes, and have put a lot of time into thinking about it, and as much on why and how as the end result.

(edit: I wondered what word filtering would be done :))