hotkeys/jkeys Thread last updated on 2008-02-16 12:52:32

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-02-13 00:23:15

I've lately (today in fact) just started using LiteStep. Its great. I hate explorer, and I'm -always- trying to find new ways to increase performance (many have ended in reinstalling TinyXP.) Long story short... I'm running an HP laptop with 'QuickLaunch' Buttons at the top. I've read the threads about making Hotkeys and such. I understand them even. BUT apparently my HOTKEY.RC is under -administrator-\personal and I can't access it ("ACCESS DENIED") to change it to add the macros I changed in the jkeys txt file (even when I try to go through the litestep nav.) I'm running EcyStep... the old large (1.5M) one since I dont like the modules in the newer ones, and I like the size of it. I've done some visual tweaking myself (changing the colour of the 'button_flashing' .png so that it's actually different when someone IMs me which MS Paint refused to save properly so I had to download thirdparty software to do it) Sorry for the run-on sentence. Just frustrated and want my buttons back. I dont even know how to install without having an administrator account which I doubt is the problem and even if it is, there should be a bypass. Thanks for the help if you can offer any.

As a summary. Can't open hotkey.rc due to windows 'access denied.' Please help.

-----------EDIT------------
Apparently I was being stupid and not trying to open it with -anything-. BUT as of 1:30AM I'm still unable to figure out what commands in the hotkey.rc to use. Working at it, hopefully becoming less stupid
----------/EDIT-------------

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-02-13 01:01:27 link

So yes. Right now, all I need to know is what !Bang command to use for each of my hotkeys for volume, play etc. when I'm running 1st version of EcyStep. It does not have a built-in mediaplayer bar but I -do- watch HD movies on here a ton with Real as well as playing a new game I download via Torrent every week. And for those I need my buttons.

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-02-13 01:38:36 link

Mkay. New problem. Basic volume control works with LsSlider 1.7. NOW. How do I use my search (ff,rew,playpause) with LsSlider? I'm reading the manual now... of course it IS 2:15AM est now...

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-02-13 02:10:20 link

Ok, scratch that. Using dynAmp in attempts to browse music/media. Failing. I'm treating it the same way I did the mixer, yet the examples aren't working how they should (I'm using a link that's been provided a few times for this problem. hotkeys are changed, vk104 is changed, calling netloadmodule for dynamp-0.50, saw it download and work. no module errors, it's just not working on real player.

Posted by member 1 on 2008-02-13 08:03:16 link

I don't think any of the LS Modules work for controlling RealPlayer. I didn't think anyone used that thing anymore. Is there a reason you are still using it, other than you like it. And btw...welcome to the learning curve...you're doing great!

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-02-13 11:32:11 link

I use it mostly just for movie viewing. Have another desktop that is hooked up to a speaker system for music. I'm anti-MS so I dont use WMP unless I -have- to. I also use Real because a lot of the music I obtain is in m4a format which is Real's lil personal format. I tried the different versions of EcyStep that have various winamp mods and since they dont change my hotkey.rc and vk104, the only thing they'd need is the call to a mod that would do it, and both dynAmp and geekAmp use the !Amp bang but neither are actually working for my music browsing buttons (as previously stated, my volume/mute IS working through use of LsSlider.) Sorry for the late response, was up until almost 5AM est trying to fix this or troubleshoot. ALSO EcyStep will -not- run on 1.35 or greater if you call to (load) LsSlider. No big deal since i like the original big version which it -does- work on. Though i -do- like the 'start button' the newer ones have, but I -have- discovered it's something in the xtaskbar that causes LsSlider to crash the theme. If I comment the loading of xtaskbar the theme loads, but the taskbar isnt docked at the bottom.

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-02-13 15:00:34 link

OK. new development. And I -did- switch themes to mini-gnome rc5. Did the netloadmodule for lsslider (wanted desperately for it to work with EcyStep 2) and I can make the buttons -half- work with players. It actually changes the active button when pressed (such as if you use tab when you're lazy with a mouse, it 'highlights' or selects. But it wont do anything. For example, if I press the PLAY/PAUSE button, it'll 'select' the play button in WMP or Real, but won't actually -use- it. Also the whole 'LsSlider Bug Fix' thread hits on the point of LsSlider freezing up the shell and rendering it non-functional and forcing you to use taskman to get back to austerity, which is the problem I have with EcySteps aside from the first two.

Posted by member 31 on 2008-02-14 15:49:56 link

m4a is Real proprietary? news to me... :)

I can't imagine anyone who dislikes MS would go jump on the Real bandwagon... but anyway, you might want to check out http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Posted by member 1 on 2008-02-14 19:55:36 link

yea...mpeg4 audio is not part of Real. It is just a supported format. Personally I am a fan of BSPlayer but to each is own. And if you have some stuff that really is RealPlayer only...you can always use the RealAlternative CODEC and play it in any media player you want. Now if you want your buttons to work in LS I think you are stuck with using WinAmp, iTunes or WMPC for all your needs.

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-02-14 20:15:44 link

ultimately, I'm just upset about LsSlider crashing EcyStep Beta... I love that theme. As I said earlier, I'm on mini-gnome which is pretty sweet, just has the whole menu-shortcut ordeal, which I did. I've seen litestep.exe run @ 6MB RAM while I run Sins of a Solar Empire. Dont think I've ever seen explorer run that small.

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-02-14 20:18:33 link

Oh, and I'm not fluent enough to figure out how to get rid of the bottom tool bar and migrate the task buttons to the top bar in mini Gnome... sometimes the bars appear on top of maximized windows, which is a problem with some other themes as well.

Posted by member 1 on 2008-02-14 21:57:51 link

LSSlider isn't that great of a module anyway. You don't need it for any of the things you are trying to do anyway. As for the on top stuff...once you learn what you are doing you will be able to fix it. Basically there is an order to which module items are drawn. Think of it as a 3D stack. Now...there are basically 3 levels that an item can be in. You have the basic lowest level desktop level, followed by the level that all of the app windows live in and finally you have a level we will call OnTop. Module load order will define where LS items are drawn within each section. So basically tell your modules to not be on top and tweak your load order. Your other option is to tell all of your modules to be OnTop and then tweak the order to make it so you can see everything properly. HAVE FUN!

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-02-14 22:26:06 link

What is another mod you'd recommend that controls volume -and- mute for non-winamp programs? The section in downloads is limited and my ISP keeps cutting us off for non-payment so I havent had time to sift through forums. Sorry this thread is dragging on, most likely where it shouldnt be now, I just love the concept and environment... Gods... If I were fluent enough, I'd create a Resident Evil theme... (Movie, not game.) Also I dont know the extent of what the LS base can do. Like I'd love to play around with the hourglass and change it into a revolving Umbrella Corp emblem and stuff. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to 'share' it without rights from capcom :(

Posted by member 1 on 2008-02-15 08:23:05 link

For volume control you have pcp_volume or vbang or vbang_lite. Personally I would use one of the last two...but that is just me.

As for your mouse cursor...that isn't controlled by LS so go out and snag a windows theme for Resident Evil and load it up for the background, sounds and cursors.

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-02-15 15:45:30 link

I hate to be a bother again, but I can't find a copy of vbang.dll or vbang-lite.dll anywhere, I've done searches, I've gone to shell pages, I've gone to dll websites, and cant find them... if a link could be provided? pcp_vol doesn't work the same as LsSlider for volume (and yes, I adjusted my hotkeys.rc so don't ask :P)

Posted by member 256241 on 2008-02-16 12:52:32 link

http://www.shellfront.org/modules-list.php

You could also google Tvol, that's what I'm using atm.