Posted by member 376487 on 2007-11-10 21:13:27

Removed by author

Posted by member 212670 on 2007-11-11 10:41:33 link

And this post won't last long...

(or shouldn't)

Posted by member 376487 on 2007-11-11 17:12:00 link

Why is that?

Posted by member 1 on 2007-11-11 19:43:09 link

Did you get permission to update and rerelease non|step from the original authors?
Did you get permission to rerelease all of the themes included within?
Did you provide information on where to find the source code for LS per the GPL?
Did you really think we would let you release software w/ crack on our site?

Please reread the AUP.

Posted by member 212670 on 2007-11-11 21:41:48 link

That's why. ;)

Posted by member 376487 on 2007-11-11 23:24:42 link

Now, as near as I can tell, Litestep is an open end software that allows users to modify and redistribute. Let me quote the license:

"This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version."

First off, I do not, and did not take credit for anything that was not my creation, secondly, when software is open end, it is meant to be for the user to modify. Thirdly, I thuroughly explained in the original post that I only modified rainmeter.rc to make rainmeter display correctly. The post right below this one is from someone who had the same problem with Non|Step, and I posted the source for this file on that thread.

Non|Step has not been in development for three yrs, near as I can tell. And putting more wallpaper into a collection of wallpapers should not be any problem either. Nor should changing the color themes on a skin to make it match Non|Step. All these thing that I did, I clearly stated in my original post.

As for the software cracks, although the word I used may be misleading due to the fact that they are nothing more than the serial numbers, I do understand this one. And for that, I am sorry. I did not mean to break your forum rules, though I have not been able to find any. I simply wanted to make a collection of Non|Step related software available to those who like the theme, and I thought that people here would appreciate the effort. I guess I was wrong.

Posted by member 212670 on 2007-11-12 00:54:00 link

Litestep is open source. Themes are something else.

Posted by member 1 on 2007-11-12 08:39:05 link

That would be what the LiteStep license says...however...did you read the GPL beyond that? The part where it says you have to offer the source or at least tell them where to get it?

Themes on the other hand are not covered under the GPL they are under what I believe is creative commons. Which means you need to give credit to republish or redistribute and get permission to modify anything. Just because non|step has not been developed doesn't give you free reign with it. (ie. the copyright never expires)

Serial numbers are still considered cracks because the software was cracked to get it. It is illegal to bypass restrictions on software in this manner. It is called software piracy and you can go to jail for a long long time for it. As for forum rules against it...check the footer of every page on this site. Under those rules you can be removed from the site...but at the moment I am feeling generous. xcal can attest to how rare that really is.

Posted by member 31 on 2007-11-13 17:11:15 link

daladim. if you want to contribute modifications to something you don't have permissions to redistribute, then just post your changes, and how to apply them.

Better yet, write your own theme that provides better functionality than the previous one and maintain it. Then eventually give someone else the permission to maintain it when you're done.