wallpaper not loading on multiple themes Thread last updated on 2007-07-02 21:30:00

Posted by member 354366 on 2007-06-29 15:54:30

HEllo: I have searched this forum on the subject title that I would like to get information on. At present, the forum's SEARCH function is not working {I know that it'll work again eventually}.
Nevertheless, with most themes, {except Austerity, Thunderstorm, and Obsidian-v1, the theme wallpapers for the following themes do not load:

Chameleon_DEV;
grayness;
Reflection;
FBL Dynamic.

****the above list is only a short example****

I am running WinXP SP2.
I am using the latest LS available.
I have made a "theme.ini" file in each of the theme folders and placed inside them the following text:

*****below is a text example only*****

"Wallpaper=wallpaper\0014.jpeg
WallpaperStyle="stretched" {without the quotes}

I have also made an attempt to lead information within the theme.ini file as to the specific location to the wallpaper. I.E. C\Program Files\LiteStep\etc.....

At times, the theme wallpaper is not included with the themes and I understand that those theme wallpapers may need to be downloaded from a different site; however, that is currently not the issue.

Anyways,numerous per theme recyling has done nothing.

Please advise as to a solution and if there is additional that I need to mention here with respect to current configurations.

Thank-you very much in advance for your help.

Posted by member 1 on 2007-06-29 18:00:20 link

Theme.ini is only read when switching themes so a recycle isn't going to do anything. Just shooting from the hip here...but are you sure that your file has the .JPEG extention and not just the standard .JPG?

Posted by member 354366 on 2007-06-29 21:36:55 link

I do appreciate your answering my post; however, I don't believe that this is quite the answer. The reason for this is because other themes such as "Singularity" have .jpg images inside their "wallpaper" folders. Such image extensions are also inside other wallpaper folders for such themes as "GLOW_V2" and "COLOR_BAR" themes and when I switch to these themes, there is no problem in having the wallpapers, as .jpgs images, become viewable on the desktop.

I would like to point out that the "theme.ini" files { individually belonging to other seperate themes such as "COLOR_BAR"} have directly inside thier theme's folder an .ini file which has the following text inside it. An example of the textual information placed inside"COLOR_BAR's" theme.ini file is the following:
------------------------------------
[Install]
Wallpaper=wallpaper\purple.jpg
WallpaperStyle="tiled"

------------------------------------

The same is also true for other themes also having a theme.ini file placed directly inside their theme folder. Another example is for the theme: "Aluminum" which, inside its theme.ini file has the following textual information:

---------------------------------
[Install]
Wallpaper="misc\wallpaper.jpg"
WallpaperStyle="stretched"
---------------------------------

This textual information was taken from the theme.ini files without switching to any theme.

Therefore, in light of the previous examples that I've just provided, I would have to say that "theme.ini" files are more than intended for "...only read when switching themes so a recycle isn't going to do anything".

Thank-you again in advance for your help.

Posted by member 1 on 2007-06-30 05:50:24 link

1) I think you misunderstood. My problem wasn't with the fact that you were trying to use a JPEG formatted image. It was that in your example the file extension you used was .jpeg; when in fact it normally would be .jpg. You can use 4 letter extensions, it just is not common and I wanted you to verify that in fact you were using the 4 letter extension.

2) Both of your examples have nothing to do with the point you were attempting to dispute. My point was that the theme.ini file is not part of the theme config itself. It is an extra file read by the LiteStep Theme Installer upon switching to a theme. Therefore, this file is not read while doing a !Recycle. This file is only read by the installer so you must use it to select your theme; whether it be the popup menu or by using the application directly.

Posted by member 354366 on 2007-06-30 11:55:21 link

HI again.
first, I think now I understand your response better. You are suggesting to use a 3 letter extension {i.e. jpg,} rather than a 4 letter extension {i.e. jpeg}. I will try this. However, I'm curious to know how a .jpg format would be read better or more correctly as opposed to a .jpeg extension.

Posted by member 248213 on 2007-07-01 02:27:16 link

the theme.ini might be pointing to a ".jpg" file when the file is actually ".jpeg".

blah.jpeg
blah.jpg
are 2 different files

Posted by member 354366 on 2007-07-01 11:50:22 link

DeViLbOi
Yes. I completely understand you now. I have made some adjustments to the image extension for the themes that I've had trouble having loading the wallpaper with. However, there are still one or 2 different themes that [ after having corrected for the correct image extension ], I still am not able to load the wallpaper design that I would like.
In order to do this, would it be necessary to go into the "step.rc" file and fill in information such as the following:

***this is only an example***

Include $ThemeDir$Wallpaper$"

fractaldesign:

I have checked for this within the theme.ini file to ensure that it is pointing to the correct image extension; however, this apparantly did not resolve the problem either. Hence, my above question re:
"step.rc" file.

Posted by member 248213 on 2007-07-01 20:02:28 link

RE: "Include $ThemeDir$Wallpaper$"

No.

The theme.ini file some themes posses is purely a themeinstaller.exe configuration.
It is not really litestep, therefore adding it to the step (step.rc and included files) will have no effect.

Some definitions:
OTS2 = Open Theme Standard 2, a standard for litestep and litestep theme configuration

Omars installer/distrobution = The most popular installer that helped popularise OTS2 by installing it and all related tools in a professional manner.

Theme.ini = A unique feature of Omars installer and "officially" supported by any OTS2 distro. This file is read by themeinstaller.exe only when switching to the theme.

How it works:
1. You install OTS2 Litestep with Omars distrobution.
2. You switch theme from the popup menu (which runs the themeinstaller.exe)
3. Theme.ini gets read by themeinstaller.exe
4. Wallpaper gets changed (if the wallpaper file exists)

I hope this helped.

If not read up on OTS2

Posted by member 1 on 2007-07-02 17:08:18 link

yea...simple including some folder that doesn't exist won't help, because there is no folder called $ThemeDir$Wallpaper$ (which would resolve to something like c:\Litestep\profiles\devilboi\themes\austerity\wallpaper$\. You want to read up on the theme.ini file and if you continue to have problems I would recommend hitting someone up on the irc channel #LiteStep over on irc.freenode.net or hitting one of us up politely via IM so we can walk you through it and explain it really well.

Posted by member 354366 on 2007-07-02 21:30:00 link

fractaldesign and DeViLbOi

Yes, I am familiar with the "theme.ini" file...somewhat. This includes knowing the def of OTS2. Nevertheless, your comments and explanation are still appreciated. Most of the probs with some of the themes seem to have been resolved with some simple steps I undertook. I will see about the other themes and if I have some continueing probs, I'll hit someone in IRC.