Windows Vista Thread last updated on 2007-04-05 21:50:29

Posted by member 16801 on 2007-01-26 08:48:35

Has anyone tried to install litestep on a Vista platform yet and if so what were the results? Will litestep run on vista or will there be any compatibility issues with the new OS?

Posted by member 212670 on 2007-01-26 09:24:21 link

I'm currently testing it on Vista Ultimate Ed. 32bit. Surprisingly, it's working quite well. I had a problem with earlier builds of Vista, but with the rtm, it seems ok. I did seem to get the old slow logon bug, even after updating my LS build to the final, though.

I imagine running it on 64bit Vista would have the same problems as running 64bit XP.

edit -

After downloading a file, if you pick "Open Folder" it doesn't open. (Note: You can still use explorer.exe as your file manager, and explorer the shell remains supressed.)

Can't seem to click through ghosted labels.

!shutdown seemed to crash LS.

Posted by member 16801 on 2007-02-01 02:21:03 link

Thanks for the info... I wanted to make SURE that LS worked b4 installing Vista. I am currently trying to find a virtual machine program to install vista to for testing with LS and when I do I will update my post here.

Posted by member 1 on 2007-02-01 04:50:51 link

Don't forget...you are not permitted under the License Agreement for Vista to install it on a Virtual Machine. I don't know what M$ was doing to enforce that...but I would expect problems.

Posted by member 85689 on 2007-02-03 05:57:33 link

xcal: how did you get litestep running under vista ok please?

mine fires up but wont operate properly, i get the following error msgs:

Litestep Tray Manager:litestep.exe - Unable To Locat Component
This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem

then after clicking on ok i get..

C:\litestep\Modules\contextmenu-1.0.dll
Error: Could not locat module. Please check your configuration

even after copying the MSVCR71.dll (from my previous XP install) to my litestep dir & system32 dir... i assume since its from xp install it wont work with litestep?

also the contextmenu-1.0.dll file is definately in my modules dir

all i did was run the litestep install on fresh install of vista ultimate, then renamed it & put my old litestep folder in its place which was working perfectly under XP

any clues/ideas/help would be much appreciatede thanx, i'll go back to XP if i cant use litestep! :(

Posted by member 1 on 2007-02-03 08:09:35 link

Uhmm...put MSVCR71.dll in your LiteStep or Windows System folder.

Posted by member 212670 on 2007-02-03 08:33:16 link

I didn't do anything special. It was a fresh install of Vista UE, and a fresh install of Litestep (omar's + official final). I am running it in a virtual machine (not running that bloated pos full time), but I don't think that would matter.

Posted by member 85689 on 2007-02-03 19:44:03 link

DeViLbOi: if you read my entire post, you'll see that i mentioned i DID copy the MSVCR71.dll to my litestep & system32 folder from my old xp install, but to no avail

litestep does fire up & "work" sort of... all functionality seems ok thus far except one major draw back

in my system tray i get bugger all system icons

for example under my current base install of vista i have 4 icons in my system tray: remove hardware, dell quickset, windows sidebar, alps touch pad, battery meter, network connection & sound volume

when i run litestep, all i get is dell quickset, windows sidebar & alps touch pad

and of course everytime i do a refresh i get the same error relating to MSVCR71.dll & contextmenu-1.0.dll

nope shouldnt matter that you're running it in a VM, strange that i get these results with a fresh install of Vista UE & fresh install of litestep too :/

Posted by member 85689 on 2007-02-03 20:21:02 link

ok after bit more process of ilimination, ive found the faulting module in my theme that would stop it from working (fresh litestep austerity theme didnt fault)

it was the contextmenu-1.0.dll module, dont know what it does, ive been using the fluidity theme, that i then butchered & customised for my own

so litestep now runs beautifully & with no errors :)

however am still having the issue where by only 3 icons in the system tray are displaying & other system icons arent

any ideas? i am using xtray-1.0.dll

Posted by member 212670 on 2007-02-03 22:35:15 link

Updated LS build to final?

Posted by member 85689 on 2007-02-04 02:59:45 link

yup running LS build 0.24.7 final, build date: 17 Dec 2005

interestingly enough now that i've installed Stardock Object Dock Plus & rebooted i get the following errors...

litestep.exe - Ordinal Not Found
The ordinal 380 could not be located in the dynamic link library COMCTL32.dll

litestep.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point ImageList_CoCreateInstance could not be located in the dynamic link library COMCTL32.dll

after clicking ok on both errors, litestep then continues to load & appears to work ok thus far & i now have more icons in my system tray (Object Dock must install something that somehow has changed this)

just strange that i would now get those errors & more icons in system tray after installing Object Dock

uninstalling Object Dock however does not then make any difference, i suspect once Object Dock is installed it loads some sort of trayserver that remains within Stardock Central & affects litestep operation ? (good: getting closer to normal system tray, bad: startup errors)

& any idea why when changing the default shell to either litestep or ShellON there is considerable delay after logging on?

Posted by member 335490 on 2007-02-24 21:10:25 link

FARQ I'm having some of the same problems as you:

1. Delayed windows logon.
2. No volume icon or remove hardware icon.
3. I forgot to add that !ShutDown does indeed crash litestep.

If anyone who is running litestep on vista figures out how to fix these, (mainly #2) please post how! :)

Posted by member 51749 on 2007-02-25 19:46:51 link

i am running vista RC1 still, and have noticable transparency issues in some places.. ie. in COLOR_BAR, with the moving taskbar. also no volume icon. also i get "stopped responding" errors when closing most apps. other than that, works fine!

Posted by member 335490 on 2007-02-28 05:06:37 link

This is what I see when I load up Litestep and explorer's shell at the same time in Vista...
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/1145/traysbp3.png

PC-cillin and utorrent show up in LS, but not even MSN shows up...

I think my only hope is that a new tray module is made for Vista to fix this :(

Posted by member 1316 on 2007-03-02 14:57:46 link

Naudian, running litestep with explorer is always flaky. And generally speaking, you won't want to run tray, desktop or task modules while doing so, as they can cause even MORE problems.

Posted by member 51749 on 2007-03-31 17:39:58 link

most problems i had in RC1 are now gone in RTM, however a new one has popped up. litestep seems to spawn 2 instances, 1 of which hogs almost all cpu time, and any attempt to close either results in both dying.

Posted by member 51749 on 2007-04-05 21:50:29 link

also, alphamapped images still show black instead of the wallpaper, at times. dragging a window behind alwaysontop images shows the window correctly, however, but the wallpaper is still missing behind these images when the window is dragged away.