"double" function of popup items Thread last updated on 2005-11-09 14:25:43

Posted by member 217321 on 2005-11-09 09:10:02

I tried to search the forums but I havent found exactly what I was looking for. I want to create a popup item like
*Popup "my computer" !PopupMyComputer
But I want it not to just open a popup-dynamic folder but also to be clickable. When I left-click on it, I want to open total commander or explorer or whatever. I cant figure out how can I do this. Thanks for soon reply!

Posted by member 1885 on 2005-11-09 09:43:27 link

To my knowledge that isn't possible. A popup entry can't be both a folder and a single clickable entry at the same time. What you can do is right click and select "Open" from the context menu.

Posted by member 217321 on 2005-11-09 09:47:01 link

I know about that option (right click -> Open), but I use LiteStep to simplify my life. So I try to make it as comfortable as possible. But thx for your reply

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-11-09 09:58:09 link

what about just a !popupmycomputer ??? maybe I am missing the point...

Posted by member 217321 on 2005-11-09 10:03:08 link

But I need to have that entry clickable (It will open My Computer window on left-click or whatever).

Posted by member 1885 on 2005-11-09 10:05:24 link

I'm starting to think I'm missing the point too... to me this looks just like pointless redundancy. If you have a popup folder that lists the contents of My Computer (or Your Computer, more correctly :P), why would you want to launch a file manager that does the same thing at the same time? Why isn't one or the other good enough? And furthermore, the popup will close as soon as the file manager is opened (unless you use xpopup and change that behavior).

Posted by member 217321 on 2005-11-09 10:11:51 link

Yes. You're absolutely correct. The point is-that i am using a very minimalistic theme, i like the popup view of my computer but I normally use total commander for my work. So I just want to combinate these two things together to make it all in one buuton.

Posted by member 1885 on 2005-11-09 10:24:35 link

Hmmm. Well, even if it was possible to add this dual behavior to a popup folder (which I'm fairly certain it's not, but I could be wrong), you're out of luck anyway. You can't open My Computer in TC, it just doesn't work that way.

Posted by member 217321 on 2005-11-09 10:35:53 link

bah! I know that I cant open my computer in TC. I work with TC for years. My plan was to do it for explorer. But then I got an idea to make some sort of a script or something to make every subfolder in popupmycomputer clickable. It would open that directory in TC on left-click. But thats really very complex because I need to find out the current folder I am pointing on. I am pretty new to litestep so I did not want to ask about so specific thing.

Posted by member 5575 on 2005-11-09 12:45:59 link

Well, you could make a folder of shortcuts, each of which opened up those folders in TC. Call it !popupMyOtherComputer or something like that. That would *only* give you left clickability though. Actually, I just tried double-left clicking on the folder entries in xpopup, and it opened up explorer to the selected folder. I couldn't actually find where that was documented, though. =)

Posted by member 1 on 2005-11-09 13:37:28 link

Isn't it possible to change the default file manager in windows so that when you double click on My Computer it opens in Total Commander?

Posted by member 1885 on 2005-11-09 13:51:52 link

That's the thing you see; it's not possible to open My Computer in TC. I know, it sounds strange, but it has to do with the way the program's laid out. You have access to all drives directly from the interface at all times, so having My Computer in a TC pane would be very pointless.

Posted by member 5575 on 2005-11-09 13:52:18 link

I tried this at the command line:

assoc .Folder='C:\Utilities\FileManagers\2xExplorer\2xExplorer.exe'

but it didn't seem to have any effect. Perhaps it would if you followed it with a logoff or reboot. Or... maybe that's not the right association to modify. I dunno. Maybe if you edit

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command

directly instead of using ASSOC? It's set by default to be

%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /idlist,%I,%L

Posted by member 1 on 2005-11-09 14:25:43 link

West :: While Ive never seen TC I do know explorer. Even the Folder view of Explorer has a My Computer view. However, once you start getting into folders "My Computer" is really out of the picture and it would just go to that folder which wouldn't be pointless.