System tray problems Thread last updated on 2003-06-03 01:23:15

Posted by member 12172 on 2003-03-05 15:35:51

I have a problem with my system tray. It doesnt show any icons at all that were created after starting litestep. I have to quit litestep and start it all over again. It seems like it doesnt update. I downloaded the latest systray2 module version, and my conf looks like this:

SystrayX 107
IF bar_top=1
SystrayY 7
ELSE
SystrayY -57
ENDIF
SystrayWidth 142
SystrayHeight 31
SystrayIconSize 16
SystrayIconSpacingX 2
systrayiconspacingy 8
SystrayDirection right
systraywrapcount 7
SystrayWrapDirection down
SystrayBitmap module_back.bmp
systrayborderleft 7
systrayborderright 9

thnx. //Tupolev

Posted by member 7 on 2003-03-06 03:03:33 link

have you ever installed desktopx?

Posted by member 13705 on 2003-03-08 23:03:29 link

ilmcuts,

I have this problem and have installed desktopx. Does desktopx cause problems with litestep?

Posted by member 6902 on 2003-03-08 23:19:00 link

I had the same problem until I dl the latest indiebuild of LS.

Now it's ok, I can sleep...

Posted by member 7 on 2003-03-09 07:26:32 link

DesktopX (and some other stardock program i think) leaves a trayserver.exe on your system even if you uninstall desktopx. This trayserver hijacks your systray so LS can't find the icons. Check your startup apps and disable trayserver.exe, then log off. Systray2 should then be able to find your icons.

Posted by member 13705 on 2003-03-09 11:22:53 link

ilmcuts,

Thanks a bunch! I was ready to pull my hair out over that one. Guess I'll have to select which parts of object desktop I want more carefully.

Posted by member 37506 on 2003-06-02 15:50:12 link

Oh my... in the name of all that is holy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the tray is updating!.. I can even see the cpu-meter going up and down :P.. it's no longer static... fuck yes!

I have the problem since If irst started using LS and the only main obstacle I had was the tray really sucking, got the point where I was gonna post a post here and then if I couldn't get it working I would have to uninstall it since it just wasn't practical having to restart LS all the time and not even then all icons showed...

I searched and found this post(browsed all search results up til this one) and the talk about that "Trayserver". I knew I hadn't used desktopx for my previous experiences(on an other wininstallation) was not good.. But I had tried windowblinds, and I thought it was a long shot but looked throu my task manager and sure enough, a "trayserver.exe" existed ther ein the list that I have not manually started. I killed it without mercy and wham(!), the LS systray for the first time began showing the icons live... first time ever... I thought it was a native LS problem that everyoen had to live with...

Weeee.. now perhaps I can actually keep LS for all time -- now that I'v found a practical theme.

THis problem thing, eventhoug it seems not to be related to LS, should be listed somehwere in large font so that other newbies who don't have as much patience and pain tolerance as I do, get's turned off and leaves....

i'm so happy...

Posted by member 1549 on 2003-06-03 01:23:15 link

DesktopX has a checkbox under the DX settings/Advanced tab called "Disable system tray support". I use both Litestep, and DesktopX with no problems as long as I have that one checked.

ObjectBar (which also uses Trayserver.exe) has the setting under file/General Options/Startup Options tab. the checkbox is "Disable Trayserver from running at startup" this will similarly make objectbar play nice with Litestep. :)