questions from a newbie Thread last updated on 2004-04-05 16:49:41

Posted by member 128566 on 2004-03-27 14:46:00

I realize that Lite Step was designed for Linux with Windows being an after thought. With that being said do you ever plan to offer a serious alternative threat to Windowblinds or WinStyles Themes?

I haven't been able to find instructional documentation for learning how to use LS Themes and its functions. Does each theme require its own installer? How do we change from one theme or another without performing major surgery?

I both enjoy and prefer using LS Themes over WindowBlinds but find LS cumbersome to use at times. Do you plan to employ the (KISS) principle to make LS easier to use or was it designed only for the experts? Comments are Welcomed.

Posted by member 2111 on 2004-03-28 03:42:11 link

It is my understanding that Litestep was never designed for Linux. How can it be designed for Linux when it replaces the windows explorer shell. It may have originally been designed to emulate some of the look of some linux x desktops.

Windows blinds is different to litestep in that litestep is a shell replacement and windows blinds just makes window borders look "pretty". From when I tried windows blinds, it just seemed to bloat my system down, and was crap.

With the new litestep installer, installing new themes takes about 3 clicks of the mouse.(assuming the theme is in the correct format) Themes that have already be installed can be selected from your popup menu and don't require any major surgery.

As stated else where on this site, litestep isn't for everyone, and if you find working with configuration files and the like, too complicated or daunting, maybe litestep isn't for you.

However having said that, with a bit of tinkering and looking through the config files, it isn't that hard to learn, at least the basics. Isn't half the fun of running something like litestep, playing with all the config files and learning how stuff works??

Posted by member 128566 on 2004-04-05 16:49:41 link

However having said that, with a bit of tinkering and looking through the config files, it isn't that hard to learn, at least the basics. Isn't half the fun of running something like litestep, playing with all the config files and learning how stuff works??

Re: Thank you for the clarification. I agree that WindowBlinds is more of a burden on system resources. However my reason for looking for an alternative was their lack of support for assisting users with their product. Having said that my main reason for posting was to find some documentation on how to use the hidden features of Lite Step that aren't readily apparent from observation. If it exist I may have overlooked it in my search. There are a few basic features in Windows that I would still like to use which are not available at first glance. For example features such as My Computer, Find, and so on.

I realize that some of these functions may not be commonly used by most users but if it's possible would like to know how to access, add or substitute other functions in replace of the ones given. I'm sure that with a minimal amount of assistance with the basics I will be able to work with them on my own. If there is some documentation available I would appreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction.

I appreciate the time you have taken to respond to my comments. So far I have enjoyed using Lite Step. It comes highly recommended by the KimKomando weekly radio broadcast. Located at http://www.komando.com/. She's pretty and equally as smart and does her homework before making recommendations. Again Thank You, a Newbie.