Help, I'm having .box problems Thread last updated on 2004-01-17 00:26:24

Posted by member 100397 on 2004-01-14 18:32:03

So I just started using Litestep a few days ago and I love it; the customization is absolutely awesome.

And I love the minimalistic themes. I know how to install and configure themes myself (although I'm still a newbie and kinda suck at it), without the installer.

I wanted to use this great minimal theme here http://www.customize.org/details/30829 and another one here http://www.customize.org/details/27989 , both by the same author, but every time I try to start them, it tells me that (with Classix, the second one) that it can't locate the box module in C:\Documents, and (with Serenity), that it can't find the box's configuration file (and it points at "C:\Documents").

I'm on Win2K and know that that's pointing to the themes' directories in Documents and Settings, but I can't find that setting in any of the config files. Anybody have a similar problem? Install the themes, maybe?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Posted by member 36955 on 2004-01-14 19:01:45 link

look through theme.rc and all the files that it includes for evars ($var$), and put quotes around ones that reference directories. then, send an email to the author pointing him here.

Posted by member 100397 on 2004-01-15 13:55:02 link

I did. He made sure not to have any spaces in any of the names of his directories or files (using the underscore mainly), but I went ahead and quoted every directory and evar off. Still no dice.

The only thing I can think of is that there's a mistake in the box module's config files somewhere--which should be in the theme, right? Even though I put quotes around all the dirs and evars in all the .rc files in the theme's directory...there must be something I'm missing. Does the box module have a config file for itself? Like an .ini or something, like rainmeter?

Any other suggestions?

Posted by member 36955 on 2004-01-15 18:33:43 link

look for *LSBoxCreate $pathto$boxfile.box and put quotes around that line. the problem isnt in spaces in the theme directory structure, but spaces in the path to the theme directory, such as C:\Documents and Settings.

Posted by member 100397 on 2004-01-16 18:23:01 link

Still won't work! I don't know what else could be wrong...here's the exact error message I get:

LsBox Error

Check Boc File: Can't load first shortcut image: C:\Documents

And that's it. Where do I go to fix that? I know what the problem is, I just can't find it to fix it.

Thanks though for your help. I appreciate it.

Posted by member 36955 on 2004-01-16 18:35:06 link

okay... look through the .box file, and put quotes around anything with a $$ around it... so for example, if there is a line that contains $imagesdir$image1.png, change it to "$imagesdir$image1.png"

that error message is referring to a line that starts with *Shortcut, but you should probably do it to all of them just to be safe.

Posted by member 100397 on 2004-01-17 00:26:24 link

Oh!

Wow, I feel stupid. I had no idea the .box files were just editable text. I geuss I should try to open any config file with Notepad before I ask questions from now on, huh...

Anyway, that fixed the problem. Turns out, I don't like the theme all that much... XD

Thanks for your help!