Valve's Steam in LS Thread last updated on 2003-10-07 09:43:17

Posted by member 46923 on 2003-10-05 04:07:32

BTW for those of you who dont have steam and Counter-strike or one of the many half-life mods, this program sits in your systray and you right click on it to bring up a game menu and you can launch any game you want, check the latest half-life news, find friends, find servers etc. It's a neat app. Anyhow after a rightclick the menu goes away instantly, i have to hold right click and then left click for the menu to stay up so i can select what I want to do. Is this a known LS bug?

I'm using Omar's latest LS build, the OTS2 one.

Posted by member 39367 on 2003-10-05 13:40:11 link

have you tried it on a different theme? I dont know if that could have something to do with it.

Posted by member 32550 on 2003-10-05 13:50:33 link

I also use steam, you have to try some time, after a few rightclicks it works and does not dissapper. a better version is to open the main tool, by leftclickin' the icon, where you also can choose between the sections

Posted by member 46923 on 2003-10-06 13:50:31 link

ehh, sounds like a systray bug to me =/

Posted by member 7 on 2003-10-07 02:10:33 link

Is steam only included in commercial products or can you download it somewhere so I can reproduce this bug locally? Even a trial version would be enough I think, as long as it shows the same behavior.

Posted by member 37809 on 2003-10-07 07:27:46 link

I know some other apps have an annoyingly hard-to-access systray right-click menu...

I can only recall azathoth's Shade and DeskSwitch (and possibly BackTrans [if it also has a systray icon])
..argh, where can one find these for download?

Posted by member 62360 on 2003-10-07 09:43:17 link

I use the v2.6 of Omars installer, and are having some of the same symptoms. The rightclick menu of steam - must be forced to stay up by a little series of fast clicks... that works for me.

Another issue is that, the "start bar" will show itself inside CS 1.6(steam). I narrowed it down to 2 things.

1. If I have any maximized windows it occurs (So I have to be fast and minimize before the game goes full screen(I use ASE to find my fun)).

2. If I have anything else selected in the bar with the CPU/ram stats - it will occur.

But it seems like omar has a new release out - so if that rectify this I will report back.

/EDIT:

So I tried the new OTS2 installer v2.9.5 by Omar, and I like it - works more smooth than the old one - hehe but the combination of HL, liteSTEP and the new 3.8 Catalyst are a funny mix, read on.

Now the topic of Half-Life based games; my experience is that HL v1.2.X.X(STEAM) will work IF you minimize all open windows before the game goes full screen.

HL v1.1.1.0 is another case, the game might go full screen if you DON'T minimize any of the windows but let them stay(that is not bullet proof but works 80% of the time).

Actually STEAM has proven to be the one least haunted by the bug... I hope that if we gather info enough it will make the solution come to us.

For them both I find it works best if the CPU stats etc are selected(I use simplicity).

On a side note I have tried shifting to other themes - but that have no impact!

And if i shift to explorer - the problem disappears.

well that's my input... geniuses I bow to U :)