label.dll crashes on load Thread last updated on 2003-09-25 09:36:14

Posted by member 50423 on 2003-09-25 03:11:21

Hi!

I've got this _really_ annoying thing going on with my themes.

When I start up my computer and after having logged in I expect my shell to show up.. but no. I can still start a taskmanager and that way start up a session of Total Commander and fiddle around on my comp. Still no sign of anything looking like litestep. Just a process "litestep.exe" sucking up more memory than usual. What I also noticed was that any window moved over the desktop will create a "copy" of itself on the desktop. This keeps happening until I terminate "litestep.exe" - then the desktop cleans up.

Finally I figured out that if I rename label.dll and try to recycle litestep starts nicely (apart from that dll missing that is).

The cures so far have been to:
1) change to a theme that does not use label.dll
2) re-install Litestep all over

Now that I was looking around for a new theme I found one and DLd it and loaded it. What happens? The exact same thing as before.. and yes - it uses label.dll!

I can't figure out what it is since a total restore of the theme won't change (thus not a .rc-question). A reboot won't help either (thus not a memory question).

Does anyone out there have a clue to what this could be??

TIA!

Posted by member 28479 on 2003-09-25 04:33:06 link

Try downloading a newer version of label and putting the dll file in...

Posted by member 50423 on 2003-09-25 06:09:06 link

Just downloaded Omars latest distro of the Litestep-installer and I still have the same problem. It has to be something it doesn't like with my system, but I just can't figure out what that would be...

BTW, the label.dll from the old installation and the label.dll from the freshly installed one have the exact same byte-size.

Posted by member 1 on 2003-09-25 08:24:38 link

sounds like you are using one of the variables in the theme incorrectly...like [cpu] or [mem]. Try disabling all of your labels and see if you still have the issue.

Posted by member 50423 on 2003-09-25 09:08:15 link

DeViLbOi: I was thinking the same, but the strange thing is that it won't rectify after a complete re-install of litestep (IE. deleting the old "litestep"-lib and installing freshly).

My shallow brain doesn't understand what in that case it should be that fu**s it up. However, I'll try to disable all the labels in all the themes that use label.dll and see if there some smaller common denominator.

Posted by member 50423 on 2003-09-25 09:36:14 link

AH!
Got it I think!

When the dll tries to load and the instructions for it are parsed and there is an instruction for a font that's not existing in the system it goes down. Guess one would expect some error-handling on that...