Making a new module for the desktops... Thread last updated on 2003-06-23 11:11:06

Posted by member 42034 on 2003-06-14 05:41:05

Inspired by jdesk and deskfolder for a while now and I have been messing about for a more windows like desktop. After some work so far it can: -

- Display normal and small icon like deskfolder
- Able to select a folder as the desktop
- Able to change labels and text colour
- Drag any icon around like the normal windows desktop
- Drag and drop (by luck sometimes works)
- Works with 98, 98se and ME
- Works on any language Windows OS
- Create folder on desktop

On the other hand: -

- Crashes when trying to add !bang so far
- very unstable (crashed my computer hunreds of times)
- Crashes usually when drag and drop
- In conflict with some other modules (looking into it)
- No where near stable ;-)
- Seems to have a bucket load of problems with XP and 2000

And I don't think it will be near finishing at any time soon, since I am lazy and I have exams coming up... I may need some help cause I suck, I will post here if there are breakthroughs or I require some help...

Posted by member 7 on 2003-06-14 10:17:04 link

You might want to have a look at folderview or icondesk... IconDesk is still being developped even :)

Posted by member 910 on 2003-06-14 18:55:52 link

I like the idea of a desktop module that handles icons itself. I think it's long overdue. I have some suggestions, but since I'm not entirely certain how experienced you are with coding modules for LS, they may not be helpful.

I notice that you say it crashes when adding a !bang command. If you mean when you try to register your bang commands for your module, I'd suggest putting this on the back burner for a day or so and just creating a bang only module to make sure you've got the bang commands down solidly. Then you can just copy and paste the same code into this module. Whenever you have an error, it's best to try to isolate that error as much as possible, so you're dealing with ONLY that one error.

Another suggestion is for the label and text colour, and you may have already implemented this. You should be able to get the default label and text color for desktop icons, and i think that would be a good idea. But i really like the idea of being able to change it via the module.

Posted by member 1 on 2003-06-14 19:07:38 link

Font too :p

oh yah...and don't forget the ability to specify where the icon label is. (left, right, top and bottom)

Posted by member 35747 on 2003-06-15 00:01:08 link

the labels can be transparent ;)

Posted by member 42034 on 2003-06-16 02:07:49 link

Thanks the info really helped me, I have an IT exam today so wish me luck... :-)

Posted by member 35747 on 2003-06-16 11:40:41 link

gl man

Posted by member 41589 on 2003-06-20 17:08:14 link

Cool, I emailed ya, maybe I can help ya out some..

Posted by member 42034 on 2003-06-23 11:11:06 link

The module is going well, at least it doesn't crash as much now. It works with 98 and ME without much problem, the only problem is that the words seems to be all messed up with chinese. And no it is not a font size or font style problem, because you can change that in my module anyway. And as with 2000 and XP is still a pain, I have listened to Pika and made a module just with !bang commands, and it seems to work well. So for the next few days I will copy the !bang into the module and fix some bugs.

I have made a walkthrough for simple drag and drop desktop in the themes forum, so check that out if you really need that function. That walkthrough will be remade into a html file with much more detail and different methods using different modules. So watch this space, if I have time I will post some pictures of the module in action to my profile.

P.S Hey Jkramer mate, I know you have e-mail me but I haven't got the mail. Anyway it will be cool to have some people to help out, but I am not going to give it to anyone until I think it is stable and safe enough to, hope you lot understand...