jDesk & reseting workarea Thread last updated on 2003-06-01 03:53:17

Posted by member 602 on 2003-05-19 11:01:27

I'm doin a remake on the old Darkzone theme if anybody remembers that one. It has four bars, one each side. The settings and loadmodule lines are in separate files for each of these bars. The include lines will/won't be commented out based on what config that is chosen.
What I want to do is to have a...

jDeskWorkArea a,b,c,d

...in each of these files. All numbers will be .none except the one that needs to be changed for that bar. This should work according to the docs(0.711).
However it doesn't. If I have:

jDeskWorkArea 0,0,0,0

in step.rc and then include a file with:

jDeskWorkArea .none,44,.none,.none

it won't change a thing. So is there anyone else that has experimented with this that can give me any advice? Found nothing in other threads.

Posted by member 31 on 2003-05-19 11:36:03 link

Only the first jDeskWorkArea will be used. So be sure to include the file with the new workarea before the place where the first jDeskWorkArea 0,0,0,0 was set.

Alternatively (and probably a better solution), you can use the !bang commands:
!jDeskSetWorkArea and !jDeskResetWorkArea.

Hope that helps.

Posted by member 602 on 2003-05-20 01:00:36 link

Well I guess you should know since you coded it, thanx.
Too bad though that it won't take multiple entries, cuz it would make things a lot easier.

Posted by member 99 on 2003-05-20 03:01:32 link

It's a semi-standard that only things that begin with a * can appear multiple times. (with the exception of LoadModule)

I would agree that bang commands are a more appropriate solution, preferably in combination with an Init event for the module that make up each edge. Another option is to create an !Init script for each edge with mzScript.

Actually though, it looks like if you use *jDeskWorkArea instead, your original attempt just might work, but that'll lead to confusion if you ask me.

Posted by member 602 on 2003-05-20 05:21:51 link

Well I tried *jDeskWorkArea and got the same general result. But I think I should mention that it worked occasionaly. But anyway, I think I've found a way to do this with bangs and without mzscript(Overkill if you ask me).
Thanks for all the help.

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-05-20 09:29:00 link

RabidCow: what do you mean by "create an !Init script for each edge"

Posted by member 99 on 2003-05-20 10:22:26 link

Sorry, for each bar.

Posted by member 910 on 2003-05-31 15:09:37 link

it'd be easier to make sure you include the edge files before you load jdesk and just have evars for each edge.

in the left edge include file:
LeftArea 25

in the step.rc:
if LeftArea
else
LeftArea 0
endif

jDeskWorkArea $LeftArea$,$TopArea$,$RightArea$,$BottomArea$

Posted by member 602 on 2003-06-01 03:53:17 link

Thanx pika, thats the easiest one yet no doubt. Didn't know that if-statements could work like an exist-statement. Right now I use mzScript anyway cause I have to for other reasons, but I'll definitly keep this idea in mind.