Posted by member 28719 on 2007-09-04 21:16:39 link

I found xTaskBarColors in an example devoted to naming multiple taskbars, but no actual docs on how it works. In my original I had a spec for a background color, but in the example it listed two colors, and I have no reference for what colors mean what in what order... I did try it without the

xTaskbarPaintingMode ".multicolor"
xTaskbarBorderMethod etched
xTaskbarButtonPaintingMode ".multicolor"

part and I got icons with no background and the transparent pink was not entirely transparent, I could see pink on the edges of the icons. I had looked at the button texture settings before but got the impression that they were for colors or textures, did not see how it applied to setting the pictures to be used. I will experiment with that part more tomorrow...

So I get the impression I should remove the part at the end from the 'tips and tricks for auto sizing with exact size buttons...' I understand the max size stuff, but I kind of wish I had a minimum size as well, I do not want the buttons to get smaller...

I was hoping to get more info on how the text tips work, but I am not seeing it - make the tip stay as long as the mouse is over the button, make the message simpler: .exe name unless a document or site of some sort is open in which case the document or website open instead of the .exe name... It truly says exactly what was quoted above, and nothing more... I followed the link about 'Additionally all xPaintTooltip settings are valid for the xTaskbar Tooltip!' and it did not explain this any further... I am not sure what '.prefix' is, and I would like the 'tips' to change according to the task, as tasks.dll did, but it appears that it will treat all tasks the same?

I think there is a whole bunch of xStuff settings that I have ZERO experience in that these docs kind of assume I already know... as in "...STEPS and DELAY specify the Animation (you should already know how to use)..." part I read while trying to figure this stuff out.

I am still using shortcuts2.dll; a special version I got from an IRC chat room a couple of years ago that does not have the 'hover over shortcut stays hovered over when you are not hovering over them anymore...' problem that so many other versions, even the incomplete shortcuts3.dll continue to have...

I was going to look into maybe some xThing.dll that could be set to do what ever shortcuts2.dll could do after I got this tasks thing straightened out...

I know my theme choices are 'old school' and I really cannot find modern themes that even slightly resemble the things I use, but I like that I have been able to continue using my non-generic, machine specific-tinker-to-setup-scripts-for-first-use-on-a-new-machine type themes for as long as I have been and would like to modernize my stuff to be able to use it beyond windows vista service pack 3...

I suspect that maybe xLabel could be rigged to do what shortcuts2 does? maybe labels with no text but an image and action when pressed...