Posted by member 12798 on 2004-01-16 13:45:35 link

maybe we could have a clearly visible "newbie's site" where information is given to them.
i can sometimes understand newbies (oh, how i f****** hate that word ;) ) not finding what they are looking for or not even searching. when i started with litestep, i had an article in a magazine (must have been in '99) introducing the basic facts. with this knowlegde, i had a good starting point. i think this is missing for most of the newbies. imagine you just registered and enter ls.net, the official ls website. there's just the forums, the themes section, the links, but nothing to really start with.
i know, there're so many tutorials and stuff, but many of these sooner or later are outdated. example: still today coders tell about step.rc settings, even though nobody puts them in there anymore because of OTS. if a user doesn't know about the "old" concept of themes, he (or she? ^^) will be confused or at least wonder about it.
it's just too many too confusing things to newbies. there's so much you have to know, and most people won't understand. they just have to be introduced - (lite)step by step ;)
and if they find basic information and links on ls.net, in big red letters, they will try it themselves ... hopefully.

(just before anybody sais: well, why wouldn't YOU do this...? i'm out of time for the next... let's say 2 months :D)