Posted by member 7 on 2003-11-10 12:58:55 link

How many times have we been through this?

Even if you go through all the trouble to do this you'll find that there's no real LS dependency. A module like that can easily run as a separate program, the only thing you may have to change is the way you look up your settings, e.g. from an INI file instead of step.rc.

But why stop with an LS module that skins windows? Why not make LS an entire win32-compatible Operating System? Why not use it to fly to the moon? Because those things aren't within litestep's scope. And because there are other dedicated apps which can do this job much better than a project limited to LS ever could.

If you find someone to do this, fine. But limiting the result of your hard work to just one shell doesn't really make sense here. You have to spend so much time debugging such a module/app that it needs a development team of its own. And I wouldn't want the window skins to un/reload on every !recycle anyway. :P
Btw, that's why so few people use 0irc as an LS module... dedicated apps can do a much better job, and if you do want to run 0irc (I do on my P90 downstairs) then you'll usually want the standalone version.

But I digress... look at the ShellWM effort and try to imagine what would have happened to it if it was an LS module and thus limited to those who run LS. It would have quickly died. It's barely alive as it is. I'm all for a module that integrates LS and ShellWM of course, a module that tells ShellWM what skin to load for example. You'd put a "ShellWMSkin" line in your step.rc to configure it... or something along these lines. But the ShellWM core should really stay a separate project.