Where's the lite in litestep? Thread last updated on 2003-05-09 01:37:44

Posted by member 30680 on 2003-05-07 10:20:35

I just installed LS (using the installer and updating to the indie) on a fresh install of XP on a thinkpad 600 (PII 266). I thought that using LS would allow me to customize the desktop and free up resources. Besides, coming from linux, I dislike explorer (and love fluxbox).

Other than 66% of the themes downloaded (from this site no less) not working at all or corrputed archives, there is one glaring problem...

Before LS, explorer used between 5.6-12 megs memory. Now using LS only (and using minimal desktops), LS eats up nearly 2-3x the memory of explorer. The default theme eats up 13+ megs right out of the box, and others got up to 17 megs!

I never would have thought that explorer (M$ bloatware)would be more memory thrifty that LITEstep (emphasis on LITE).

Thoughts?

PS--my system is tweaked for performance, please no "something is wrong with your system, yada yada" comments.

GregC

Posted by member 1 on 2003-05-07 11:13:09 link

I can not comment on the corrupt uploads, thats the themers problem. However, as for them not working. It is well documented that the LSTS that comes with the installer is messed up and a patch is available.

As to your memory usage, my theme is at 3.5M. Each theme...each module is different. The more bloat you put in the more bloat you get out. Some themes are just written badly and prepare for a lot of stuff that doesn't happen because they didn't think ahead. If you are that into customization download a minimal theme, Xhenit v2 for example, and build on it.

Posted by member 30680 on 2003-05-07 11:29:57 link

Are there any good resources for taking a theme and hacking it to your own liking? As I stated above, I love minimal themes, and I'm only looking for a popup menu and an occasional system tray. I don't even want a background.

I'll check out the theme you mentioned. I downloaded every "minimal" theme on this site, and will check out others!

GregC

Posted by member 1 on 2003-05-07 11:32:38 link

Edit your rc files with notepad. unload all modules but desktop, popup, systray and yer fine.

Posted by member 1783 on 2003-05-07 12:25:20 link

you forgot to mention hotkeys ;)
(but of course that's a personal preference)

Posted by member 30680 on 2003-05-07 15:00:15 link

Is editing the rc files pretty goof-proof? For example, there is a theme I love, except that it has a command prompt and winamp control built in to the desktop. Is it just a matter of commenting out the modules?

I'm still learning, but will give it a shot. Maybe I'll upload a theme or two.

GregC

Posted by member 21413 on 2003-05-07 16:03:17 link

I like minimalistic things also... but not that much for not using the task bar and systray. In spite o this litestep uses between 2 and 2.5Mb of RAM.

You can see a screenshot of it here.
(Note though that when I run rainmeter I do it as a separate exe, I don't run it as a LS module.)

Posted by member 1 on 2003-05-07 19:58:04 link

gcodori - Nothing in LS is easy. LS is designed for people that are not affraid to get their hands wet. If it breaks...so be it...undo it. :p

Posted by member 19950 on 2003-05-09 01:37:44 link

Go look at the GDI\System resources before LS and after LS if you are on Win9x. That's the power at least to select LS.