transparency modules Thread last updated on 2003-04-15 03:08:58

Posted by member 18450 on 2003-04-14 03:14:30

hey all. Lets say I want to make the border of a label a certain color, and the inside slightly transparent. Can I do that with any label modules? I know they support magic pink, but that's only full transparency, Im looking for a partial transparency. Any ideas?

-mogg

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-04-14 03:21:55 link

Labels use fake transparency. I mean that alwaysontop transparents labels will let shine your desktop wallpaper even if they are over a window or whatever...
Currently, I have all the stuff onbottom. So labels could be completely transparent. But I'm going far way of the real question...

You can use transparent labels and add layercuts over them (use #K). Use a little amount of transparency for the layercuts if you want to still be able to see your labels...

Posted by member 18450 on 2003-04-14 07:45:11 link

oooooo.....sounds good, but what is adding layercuts, and using #k? is that like when you edit them in an image editor? I have photoshop, but Im not great at that yet. scuse my newbness. Thanks

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-04-14 10:19:04 link

Photoshop:
- File -> New (CTRL+N) (use transparent background)
- select a region,
- fill it with some color,
- double-click on the layer (on the right bottom)
- apply a Bevel or a Shadow effect,
- add a new layer,
- put under the previous one,
- merge layers (CTRL+SHITF+E)
- save your image as .png

#K: the shortcut won't answerd to click/mouseover; but the label/whatever under it will !

Posted by member 18450 on 2003-04-14 12:15:03 link

cool, works like a charm! thanks. got one more question though. If I use grdtransparent to help me out with this whole transparency stuff, I wouldn't want all my labels to be transparent, only some. I know grdtrans is usable with groups, but can I declare labels in groups? If so how? didn't find it in the doc file. Thanks again!

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-04-14 15:26:12 link

grdTransparent apply settings to groups. Then, you could have popup2 and label in the same group. By modifying transparency to that group, both popup2 and label will be affected... Since it's like that, I guess you can't apply different transparency level to individual label.
But, let's say "There could be tricky ways":
Leave grdTransparent and put the stuff you want to be transparent in a lsbox and use the lsboxtransparency setting.

Posted by member 18450 on 2003-04-14 17:44:45 link

hmmmm....may try that with the boxes. Although, I could never load labels in boxes...never. I even just reformatted and it's still not working, and I've tried virtually everything. It's really annoying. *shakes fist at LS* thanks again man.

Posted by member 18450 on 2003-04-14 19:44:59 link

argh! Can't get boxes to load!!!!!

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-04-14 20:52:41 link

mogg, why would you multiplying the threads ? :)

What's wrong with lsbox ?

- Have you read the doc ?
- Start with a simple .box file
- Transparent regions of the bitmap (LSBoxBackground) won't be show. So, if you plan to have a full transparent background and hook some modules into that box; nothing will be show. Just a transparent box (invisible and untouchable)
- Modules you want to hook must be loaded before the creation of the box. Better use "*Script Exec !LSBoxCreate file.box" than "*LSBoxCreate..."

What do you want to do, exactly ?

Posted by member 18450 on 2003-04-14 22:53:37 link

well, I wanted to make a freelancer shell, cause the menus in freelancer are amazing. my initial plan was to make a box on that hugged the desktop, then but individual labels ontop as the buttons to.....whatever. but, I have never been able to load labels into boxes, hence the hug the desktop, then put labels on top. but now, I can't even load boxes! I even DLed some themes with boxes case I forgot. But even they don't work. running win2k sp 3.

Posted by member 1 on 2003-04-14 23:13:21 link

I have a theme, that works, if you want something to see.

Posted by member 18450 on 2003-04-14 23:25:55 link

sure, that'd be nice. where can I get it? I believe the problem may be my comp though, but another test would be very good.

Posted by member 1 on 2003-04-14 23:36:17 link

it is not an OTS theme so it will take some tinkering. Ill email it in a sec...

Posted by member 7 on 2003-04-15 03:08:58 link

if you use !labellsboxhook you shouldn't have any problems putting labels into a box.