Main bar and start bar problems +Q's Thread last updated on 2008-08-31 16:17:15

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-08-24 11:52:28

Alrighty then. First up:

(Solved: I noticed that the image title and the code below mismatched. The image was "Taskbar 2.png" with a space, while the code below doesn't have a space) My menu bar....it's...not showing up. And if it is, the image simply isn't stretching (it's a 48px tall, 1px wide image..want it to stretch across the screen)
*Label Mainbar
MainbarX 0
MainbarY -48
MainbarHeight 48
MainbarWidth $ResolutionX$
MainbarPaintingMode ".image"
MainbarImage Taskbar2.png

Start button: I've got the PNG set to 120 wide, 48 tall. The button only actually goes out about 80, the rest is transparency. But why is it still selecting on hover? :\

And next question...I don't understand hooks x_x;
How do they work? What do they do? Can someone send me a link that describes their purpose?

Why do people split up config files, instead of holding it all in the theme.rc file? Wouldn't it be easier to view everything when it's in one place?

Why does the site log me out every 5 minutes x_x;

The start button has "alwaysontop true" set, but when I click in the area where the mainbar is, the start button gets overridden. The start button is drawn to be a button on top of the main bar, and I was going to make everything else a part of the mainbar.

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-24 13:01:23 link

I can handle the last 3...

Includes were added a long time ago to make things easier. For example...when I write a theme I include the NLM line into the include file. So I can do a config and do a bunch of IF's for each include. It also makes things waaaay easier to find if they are done/named properly.

The site should log you out after I think 10 minutes of idle time. If it is happening more frequently than that it is because you are going through a proxy that is changing IP addresses every 5.

The start button is AlwaysOnTop...just not in the respect you are thinking. Each module handles their own OnTopness so your Label doesn't control where it is in relation to the taskbar. To correct this you can hook them together or you can reverse the load order of the two modules causing your problems. If I remember correctly the desktop is drawn from the bottom up one module at a time so your label would need to come after your taskbar. And to over simplify things for people searching later. Think of OnTopness like a stack of paper. Each manilla folder is a module and within it you can have multiple pieces of paper. One piece of paper can not come out of a lower folder and be placed on top because it has to be in it's proper folder.

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-08-24 14:22:04 link

As for the start button, that's what I was thinking. And I've got it set with alwaysontop, and the mainbar doesn't have it. And I had the mainbar load first, the start button second....

Wait! Ok, I got it working. But now the alpha transparency bits on the start button...aren't transparent to the mainbar :D Wtf :D

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-24 14:45:30 link

You use MagicPink or a AlphaTransparent PNG?

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-08-24 15:30:34 link

PNG's with a nice amount of transparency. I mean, it shows the wallpaper through, so it IS transparent. But it is both A: Clickable and B: hiding other label items

And by every 5 minutes, I just meant waay too often. Even 10 minutes :P
I come back from working a bit and..gotta relog. It's just a little annoying. Any reason behind logoff times being so low?

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-24 15:49:35 link

There is a transparency setting for labels. It is like True Transparency or Alpha Transparency or something like that. Try changing that.

Because if you sit idle for 10 minutes you should have moved on by then? :P It was an agree'd upon time with our host.

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-08-31 10:48:05 link

Will said transparency setting work with fading? Like..a shadow that goes from black to alpha gradually? And HOW will it work. (I haven't tried it yet, just got to work and am looking for the setting now)

Edit: The Alphamap [bool] command in xLabel, methinks? (putting this down for search purposes)

Edit 2: Huzzah! And it registers every pixel of the png, so if there's even the teenciest bit of shadow, that'll count as a button.

Now, since when did jdesk decide that "jdeskworkarea 0,0,0,-48" (with and without a *) means that when I maximize a window it should take up the whole screen? :|

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-31 10:53:01 link

Alphamap I am pretty sure is a shadow...but there are other alpha trans settings.

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-08-31 11:30:19 link

Dunno. But Alphamap did exactly what I wanted it to do. My button had empty space (alpha) and Alphamap True made that alpha space not exist anymore

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-31 12:03:56 link

Home for lunch...this is the setting I was thinking of.

TrueTransparency [BOOL] - If set, you get TrueTransparency otherwise you get a DesktopImageCopy in the Magic Pink Regions.

As for your other question try 0,0,0,48 instead and see if that fixes your problem.

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-08-31 13:18:48 link

Still fullscreening...maybe I should just use xdesk :P
Jdesk worked in that beginners tutorial though...

And I'm not using magicpink :P I'm using PNG alpha

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-31 13:37:33 link

check and make sure that you are not defining your work area twice...like in your personal.rc or something.

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-08-31 15:24:41 link

Only got one RC file for now, I'll split everything (maybe) later.
And it wasn't a matter of quotes....
jdeskworkarea "0,0,0,-48"
jDeskDesktopFolder $desktop$
jDeskRecycleOnRezChange true

I've got xpaintclass and xstatsclass load before jdesk, but jdesk is the first config.

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-31 15:40:12 link

so you didn't use omar's installer...just grabbed the fresh build and started to go to town?

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-08-31 15:49:51 link

I THINK I used the installer. I can't remember anymore >_>

I did the one where you use it, and then you patch it.

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-31 16:17:15 link

Then you have a step.rc, theme.rc, personal.rc, hotkey.rc, etc...