jDesk readme - says it can't be done but there's always a way.... Thread last updated on 2003-04-13 06:50:37

Posted by member 18844 on 2003-04-11 12:09:55

I use jDesk as a quick way to drop my current work projects into the litestep shortcuts dir. Then I have this linked to my 'wrk button' on the tool bar so I have quick access to a 'current work' only folder which also serves as a to do list....
I find it a (small) pain to have to first create a shortcut then drag it onto the litestep-shortcuts dir. via jDesk.

Here's the request - assuming the readme (below)is correct is there any other way, in a single operation, to click on a file and have it 1)create a shortcut - 2) move it to a specified folder?? Macro perhaps....
## jDesk read me ##
jDeskDesktopFolder ""
- If used and set to a valid directory, it will enable drag and drop of files onto the jDesk desktop area. Any file dropped on the desktop will be automatically copied into the folder specified. If the file exists, you will be prompted to overwrite. You can not move files, or create shortcuts. Currently dragging folders do not work.

Posted by member 99 on 2003-04-11 12:22:24 link

So you want a way to drop a file somewhere and have it create a shortcut for you, in the folder of your choice?

Posted by member 18844 on 2003-04-11 12:47:07 link

Bang on Rabid - I have a bad feeling there is a really uncomplicated way to do this and I might be sorry I posted this ;0)

Posted by member 18844 on 2003-04-11 15:45:34 link

To be specific I would want to do this with a folder as well as a file ... sure others would find it useful to

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-04-12 13:00:40 link

I have already released a tutorial theme ("popuped") which allow you to have VWM, taskbar and systray in a box...

Last night, I add to it user defined shortcuts support (files and folders). Take a look at the screenshot section. I didn't release it now, because I'm planing to add support for user defined multi shortcut-boxes... and, since it take me some time to code it, I'm not able to release a well documented version of it...
You'll have to wait one or two days before starting playing with it. It is still intend to be a tutorial theme (I mean that can be easily and fully modify by themers). Watch out..

Note: if you're looking for a full featured theme with user defined shortcuts support, try
http://www.litestep.net/index.php?section=2&action=details&id=83

Posted by member 18844 on 2003-04-12 14:07:48 link

Oh how you'll laugh....
Last night I duplicated all my clients directories as shortcuts. Now when I drag the shortcut onto my desktop it creates a copy in the shortcuts directory - I just delete from the shortcuts when the job is complete. So.... I'm gonna wait for your own litestep release and install that part of it. (I KNEW someone could do it!!)

Posted by member 18844 on 2003-04-12 14:18:04 link

Will you let me know when it's ready? ken@e-cc.org .....

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-04-13 06:50:37 link

Humm, not much very active, currently...
Then, I guess you'll have to wait several days (but not a week)
I won't mail you to let you know. But it will be in the "Themes" section