Newbie help please. Thread last updated on 2008-08-22 13:18:51

Posted by member 411612 on 2008-08-20 04:16:25

Hey, I recently learned of Litestep so I thought I'd make a theme that has everything I have wished Vista shipped with... now the module docs are great, but alot of it wasn't meant to be understood by beginners so I'm having a bit of trouble so I thought I'd list what I'd like help with:

HDD Usage Bars: Do I have to use rainmeter or is there something easier?
MSN: Is there a module for msn or is that not possible? Maybe just for the emails... I just wanna know how many people online/emails I have.
Slideshow: I want one, can I get one?
µTorrent: How do I use torrentstats-1.0?
umSlider: How do I put it into a label?
Calendar/Weather: What module should I use?
Computer Menu: I want to have a menu to traverse 'My Computer' as deep as I want; create a toolbar of 'My Computer' on the explorer taskbar to see what I mean.

I can post my theme.rc or a screenshot if you're curious; it's basically a sidebar with a lot of info I want, hoping to use thumbnails in the taskbar eventually too, but thats beyond my understanding right now and I want to get something functional first.

Thanks for your replies.

Update:
Put up a ss:

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-20 16:27:32 link

1) I am pretty sure you can do it with xLabel and the xStatsClass
2) There are mail checking modules but nothing to send IM's to MSN contacts. Best you could do is to use Trillian or Pidgin and stick users to your desktop.
3) Explain more
4) No Clue...read the docs?
5) Into a label? You don't. You could put it on/over a label though.
6) There are a couple choices for weather, none of which come to mind right now. As for a Calendar...Rainlander is your only choice.
7) !PopupMyComputer

Posted by member 411612 on 2008-08-20 16:37:35 link

First of all, thanks for the reply.

1)While xStatsClass can give you the numbers, I was hoping for something more elegant than working out widths for labels, but I guess it'll do.
2)No IMs, just a count of online people, might have to check into seeing about making a module...
3)A picture slideshow; I tell it directory(ies) to use and it scrolls through the pictures.
4)Thats the problem, the docs give a few lines on how to format the output, but not how to put it into a label:
µLabelName -string-
This is the name of the label that will display the stats.

µLabelPattern -string-
This is the text that makes up the label.

5)Okay, thanks, I just hope transparency works over a label, because it wasn't when it was directly on the desktop.
6)Okay, I'll look into it.
7)Will try that.

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-20 19:21:59 link

1) Use free/total to determine a % and make the background label 100 pixels wide and the size label to be that %.
2) I don't even know if any of the apps export that info. Maybe Miranda?
3) xLabel and LUA or mzscript...shouldn't be too hard I don't think.
4) You're right...the docs are pretty bad. Best guess would be that you just NLM the module and configure the label per the xlabel docs...but you can use those %variables.
5) Normally a slider is an independent item. If you want it to appear as part of a panel you can put a label behind it.
6) The theme I am currently using has wazup.dll for weather.

Posted by member 411612 on 2008-08-21 08:56:59 link

1) I can do it for the cpu(on a Timer) by adapting someone elses code, but how do I do it for the hdd's(once at run)?

Sorry for asking, but I blame documentation or lack thereof.

Thanks for your time.

Otherwise everything else is on schedule :)

PS: The !PopupMyComputer isn't what I want, but close; I want to be able to traverse the whole computer from the menu i.e. have the contents of 'c:' be listed when I pause the mouse over 'c:'... I'm thinking that'll be tricky though, so I stuck to the popup for now but if I can't get it working then its back to explorer for me, I use it so often its not funny.

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-21 11:05:32 link

1) You would put it on a timer to run every so often...I would do it something like every 10 minutes...but that is up to you.

7) It doesn't do that for you? Try making a popup with a Dynamic Folder of $drives$ then.

Posted by member 411612 on 2008-08-22 07:13:09 link

Thanks for your help, I would like to ask one more question:
How do you use !TimerUpdate? I have:
*Timer HDDCUpdate #sl 10m !execute [!parseEvars !setEvar HDDcU %[remove(diskInUse('c:', GB), 'GB')]% ][!parseEvars !setEvar HDDcT %[remove(diskTotal('c:', GB), 'GB')]% ][!parseEvars !setEvar HDDbarCW %#HDDcU/HDDcT*108%# ][!parseEvars !labelModifyOverlay systems hdd_c_used_ 4 132 %#HDDbarCW+1%# 20][!parseEvars !labelModifyOverlay systems hdd_c_avail_ %#HDDbarCW+3%# 132 %#107-HDDbarCW%# 20]

Ideally I would like to set the time to 10ms then use a !TimerUpdate at the end to switch it to a 10m countdown, so I don't have to wait 10m for the first draw.

Working on prettying it up atm mainly, then might add the 'minimise' functionality I want.

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-22 07:55:55 link

You already have that functionality. The S flag says run this timer on startup and the L flag says to loop it. So it will run every 10 minutes from the point of LS starting up.

Posted by member 411612 on 2008-08-22 08:17:48 link

It waits 10 minutes before executing the commands, even with the 's'

Posted by member 1 on 2008-08-22 13:18:51 link

sounds like a buggy version of timer then. Try a different version.