Woot! I just killed my desktop! Help please. Thread last updated on 2008-07-12 14:06:53

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-07-08 16:19:46

So, I installed litestep, copied all the files from the update to the directory, and restarted. This is what I had on screen.
http://i38.tinypic.com/2ljgx0w.jpg
I switched back to explorer, uninstalled litestep and removed everything, ran through the regular installed, and I still have just that on screen. I had 3 or 4 windows open when I took that screenshot.

Posted by member 1 on 2008-07-08 20:34:46 link

Was the computer hooked to the Internet when you rebooted? Do you use a proxy server? Did you update the step.rc NLM site list as follows?

*NetLoadModuleSite "http://modules.shellfront.org/"
*NetLoadModuleSite "http://www.modules.nbi-studio.com/"
*NetLoadModuleSite "http://www.ls-universe.info/download/modules/"

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-07-09 00:09:52 link

It was, no proxy, and I don't know.
I uninstalled the whole thing and tried installing LOSI, but alas. It works, but not nearly as visually pleasing. And the themes weren't loading in properly. Too small (though maybe my 1280x1024 resolution is to blame), and the wallpaper wouldn't show up. As well as desktop items going poof.

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-07-09 00:31:51 link

I just tried updating the step.rc file in the main directory. No go on the default theme. I installed other themes and some of them work. What I need to do now is disable desktop switching, because having two monitors doesn't work well with keeping things from moving. Especially when one monitor is a 4:3 turned 90 degrees to the side.

Also something of note, it's forcing my wallpaper to stretch to a 4:3 resolution on the second screen, which is at 3:4...

Posted by member 1 on 2008-07-09 08:13:44 link

Yes...some LS themes will have problems with a multimonitor configuration.

LiteStep's wallpaper changing modules aren't going to understand a 3:4 configuration...hell I don't think LS will. If you disable the LiteStep wallpaper changing it should take care of the one issue though. However, you may still have problems with theme elements going the wrong way.

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-07-09 14:05:00 link

I'm not worried about theme elements, I intend to make my own once I figure out what I need to do. How do I disable wallpaper changing? Also the number of desktops needs to change from 3 to 2, or to disable control of that.

While I'm getting responses, is there also a way to link gmail into the email checking thing in litestep?

Posted by member 1 on 2008-07-09 19:39:24 link

How do I disable wallpaper changing?

In your Popup menu go to LiteStep >> Utilities >> LSThemeInstaller and then click on settings.

Also the number of desktops needs to change from 3 to 2, or to disable control of that.

Disable your VWM module if you want or read the docs associated with the VWM module that your current theme uses. This will not be a global change.

While I'm getting responses, is there also a way to link gmail into the email checking thing in litestep?

Yes...read the docs for your associated mail checking application.

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-07-10 01:49:16 link

Yar. Thanks for all. I'll go try and figure out all of that.

When you say associated mail checking application, you mean that I can't integrate gmail directly into the email checker thing? But would instead have to use thunderbird or whatnot?

Posted by member 1 on 2008-07-10 08:11:59 link

oops...should have been associated mail checking module. GMail supports POP3 and IMAP so it should work just fine if you set everything up.

Posted by member 362901 on 2008-07-10 10:37:24 link

a little tip about multi-monitors. If you're using bangVWM or ckvwm, try setting your vwm windows vertically (bVWMVertical for bangvwm, set "VWMDesksX 1" and VWMDesksY appropriately for ckvwm). You usually get better VWM behaviour that way.

A better option is to use rabidVWM. It handles multi-monitor horizontal switching correctly.

One thing you're going to find in LS and LS themes, many authors don't have multi-monitors or if they do, they have the same resolution on both. Many, many times I've had to modify the X and Y settings to include the "$ResolutionX" or "$ResolutionY" settings.

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-07-10 11:38:21 link

Well, so far the themes I've used and am using work fine on screen one, and screen two is completely empty (the way I'm used to it), and the rightclick menu works in all locations on screen two, and I fixed the wallpaper issue on top of it all. So..I think that my multimonitor support is working more or less the way I want it to. I doubt I'll be including anything on the second screen...unless I decide to put a shortcut bar to everything there...

How do I get my desktop items to show up again?

Posted by member 1 on 2008-07-10 12:39:49 link

You need to configure a module like Clickonic or other desktop icon modules.

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-07-10 23:17:24 link

I'm going to have to do some hardcore research, aren't I. Any immense knowledge of coding that I'll need in order to do what I want?

Posted by member 1 on 2008-07-11 08:09:51 link

Hardcore...no...but will there be a lot of reading and time involved...yes.

Posted by member 355874 on 2008-07-12 13:02:19 link

Disable your VWM module if you want or read the docs associated with the VWM module that your current theme uses. This will not be a global change.

VWM module = what? I don't know that acronym and I don't see any modules named that. Maybe I should just dissect the default theme and see what's sitting in that space...

Posted by member 1 on 2008-07-12 14:06:53 link

VWM - See http://lsdocs.shellfront.org/vwm.php

You should have some module that contains those three leters in it if you have a VWM enabled. CKVWM, RabidVWM, BangVWM, etc...