popup and taskbar Thread last updated on 2008-03-08 13:38:45

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-03-03 21:17:26

Two questions, one more important than the other.

Firstly, the more important one:
I use a program, namely zMUD, which takes the place of telnet when playing 'MUDs' which are text-based MMORPGs. What I've found with almost every theme aside from austerity (the default) is that zMUD's icon in the taskbar doesn't change its colour when there's activity (it turns from a blue 'Z' to a green 'Z' when there's any activity) which differs from IMs which change the colour of the whole button. On some themes it -will- change on occasion, more often than not if I -click- to change windows instead of alt-tab, but if I hover over the button on occasions it will also turn green finally. I'm -assuming- this is a problem with refresh in the taskbar. It causes problems when I'm in Firefox or something else while I'm playing and can't tell if someone's speaking to me or not.

Secondly (and hopefully a -lot- more easy to remedy:)
How do I turn off 'onrightclick' for popup? for -me- it's fine, but I'm going to put litestep on my woman's computer and her son could screw it up with the rightclick popup menu. I -know- there's quite a few themes out there that have it disabled, so it's doable. For example I'm using EcyStep 2.0 right now, but I may put LiteScape or Concept on hers (I think, can't remember the themes offhand, but some of the simpler ones.) I know most themes use similar modules for such things as well.

Posted by member 1 on 2008-03-03 21:39:12 link

2) Edit section II of the personal.rc that is labeled "DO NOT CHANGE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. :)"

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-03-03 21:45:59 link

thanks. should've been a bit more easy for me to figure but I found both the desktop and jtaskbar things to comment out. (I'm not dumb enough to delete them ;) ) Any idea on the taskbar problem? surely zmud isn't the only program that has a dynamic taskbar icon.

Posted by member 32550 on 2008-03-06 11:13:59 link

Use xTaskbar-2.1.5 with the following setting:
*xTaskbarUpdateIcon "SubString from Class or Windowname"

All Applications, which "Class" or "Windowname" match the "SubString", will update their TaskIcon with every UpdateInterval.

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-03-06 18:43:50 link

well, when I change from xtaskbar-1.5.2 to 2.1.5 the taskbar doesn't work (still using ecystep 2.0 but it -doesn't- throw an error when I put the update line in there, the bar just disappears, and with the old version it doesn't throw an error, the bar is still there, but doesn't seem like it works, not sure on the update rate)

Posted by member 1 on 2008-03-06 19:30:23 link

When modules are updated some settings may be removed or changed. It appears that between 1.5.2 and 2.1.5 there was a change to the configuration of the module. Refer to the documentation for each and update where needed.

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-03-07 11:02:25 link

ah, figured it out. 1.5:2.0 forced the change over to xpaintclass for buttons. No idea how to do that transition at all unfortunately. anyone able to add me to msn for some help? And I'm also surprised at the usage of 1.5 instead of 2 as well... ecystep 2 is relatively new...

Posted by member 396811 on 2008-03-07 11:38:21 link

OK, at this point I'd like to be directed towards how to fix overlap of maximized windows and the fact they overlap the taskbar a little (not sure how many pixels, but a -lot- of the themes I use overlap and get distracting since I know there should be room between the taskbar icons/button and the window, yet the window is covering up a bunch) is this 'always on top'? or would that make it so it shows up on fullscreen as well?

Posted by member 1 on 2008-03-07 16:52:32 link

you need to configure your desktop module, either desktop2 or jdesk, to not allow the windows to be maximized to that size. read the docs for each module for how to do that. these will be per theme settings so they belong in the theme.rc.

Posted by member 32550 on 2008-03-08 13:38:45 link

@zadigger:
Look at the tutorials at http://xdocs.ls-universe.info
The switch to xPaintClass-1.0 isn't really complicated, especially if you use images.