Registery keys for 64 bit fix Thread last updated on 2008-01-16 07:03:34

Posted by member 259939 on 2007-11-05 21:31:17

can someone toss those registry keys my way....I dont know what to change to what to disable explorer and get litestep to run properly in 64 bit windows

Posted by member 373496 on 2008-01-16 07:03:34 link

Ok after spending all day yesterday googling for the answers and reading previous Windows XP x64 posts in this forum I still couldn't get litestep to run as the default shell. This morning when I booted up my PC, litestep opened, but when I opened "My Computer" the explorer.exe kicked in and took over. To take a calm aproach, I went to "C:\Windows\regedit.exe" and after opening it I pressed ctrl+shift+esc to make sure the process read "regedit.exe" and not "regedit.exe *32" as in the 32bit version of regedit.
In the x64 version of regedit you will see something like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Wow6432Node. Under that directory you will find something like Microsoft>WindowsNT>CurrentVersion>WinLogon then an entry underneath that node called "Shell" and make sure it says the path to your litestep.exe rather than saying explorer.exe
This took me a minute to figure out... there is still another entry for the system shell located back outside the Wow6432. I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>WindowsNT>CurrentVersion>WinLogon and there's the old 32bit entry that says "Shell" make sure that one too says the path to your litestep.exe instead of explorer.exe
I don't know if these entries are the same in 64-bit Vista. Maybe someone else can confirm if it is or not. Only problem I've had running litestep under 64-bit windows is not being able to access 64-bit stuff like regedit and control panel from within litestep. A simple workaround would be to use ctrl+shift+esc for getting the 64-bit taskmanager and run command. As for the control panel I had to make a shortcut that opened the 64-bit file manager and go to the control panel from there.