Need help Thread last updated on 2007-10-08 16:37:49

Posted by member 385726 on 2007-10-08 14:54:32

Hello, I am completely new to Litestep.

The reason I chose Litestep as a shell replacement is because I wanted to just use Stardock's Objectdock as the main means to get around Windows. It's not possible in Explorer though because it has issues launching the start menu and loading the systray.

I was told Litestep could help me. What I've noticed though is almost all of the themes I download have extra functions and bells and whistles I don't need, even the minimalist ones. When I try and edit the .rs files (i've done some .ini file editing before but I really don't know what I'm doing) I always mess something up, badly, when trying to remove or change a feature.

What I am looking for is something very simple. A glass-effect transparent popup menu perhaps with a choice to make it white glass or dark glass (to match the objectdock when I change it), the system tray in an easy to access place, and the ability to actually use the desktop as I like to download files there and make shortcuts on the desktop as well. So far the only theme I have used that implements the desktop is Austerity and it's a very limited desktop.

I might like the ability to see some system information (cpu%, memory, ip address, etc.) as an option too but I could easily live without it.

I'm on Windows 2000 sp4 if that helps.

Can anyone help me or suggest a theme that has what I am looking for? I am pretty frustrated right now but am willing to be patient and learn as I really would like to have my desktop customized.

Thank you!

Posted by member 385726 on 2007-10-08 14:57:00 link

I can't edit the post so I'm double posting (sorry) but being able to change the wallpaper easily would be nice as well. I can never wrap my head around changing the wallpaper for the other themes outside of austerity.

Posted by member 256241 on 2007-10-08 16:32:32 link

You can change the wallpaper from the display properties, in control panel... In fact any way except right clicking on the desktop.

You'll find a lot of people here only develop their own themes, so people won't be that great at recommendations.. Just browse through the themes you find, try out a few and find something close to what you want.

Then change it.

Posted by member 385726 on 2007-10-08 16:37:49 link

Yeah, I've been trying that... however the only themes I see with great glassy windows/popup menus have a bunch of other things as well tagged on. Whenever I try to remove them I get serious errors and end up having to switch back to Austerity and then removing/reinstalling the themes and trying again.

I did find one theme I liked alot, fractalglass, but for some reason alot of the stuff doesn't seem to work on Win2k and when I tried to remove all of the extras I got errors that crashed Litestep.

Perhaps someone could recommend me something that really doesn't have much of anything on it, and I could add stuff from there?

I've found, personally, adding things is much easier than removing them.

EDIT::: Found the edit button :)

Anyways, I tried to change the desktop wallpaper using the display properties... you know, browse, choose the paper, click apply and ok. Nothing ever changes though, it's always the default wallpaper for the theme. I'm thinking it's hardset in one of the .rs files somewhere...