just wondering Thread last updated on 2007-10-24 18:09:52

Posted by member 102312 on 2007-09-10 17:53:59

What has happened to the creation of new themes? Has everyone quit using litestep? I remember a time when everyday it seemed as though there were 3 new themes to try out. I haven't seen a new theme in over a month. I am just wondering if litestep is dying and if so what can I do to revive interest in this project.

Posted by member 1 on 2007-09-10 18:46:29 link

Well you could create a theme for starters.

Posted by member 319126 on 2007-09-13 15:50:26 link

I feel content whit the theme I have made for myself right now so haven't had motivation to do anything new.

Posted by member 85608 on 2007-09-14 12:34:47 link

this sounds silly but i am slowly giving up on windows in general.
kde3 + beryl = niiiiiiice
there needs to be some sorta..newness..in litestep i think, and i admit i dont code litestep themes much. i just use someone's (looking at you Ash) and mess with it to fit me for when i log into my xp machine to play games.
that is what i like about litestep..you can fiddle with it. i dont think it is dead or dying. just resting, with its eyes closed..in the road.

wergeld

Posted by member 5575 on 2007-09-16 13:25:36 link

The old "Litestep as armadillo" metaphor. Yow.

Posted by member 319126 on 2007-09-18 09:22:17 link

I wonder, I tried a bit of Ubuntu and have it installed on my comp and beryl running whit a half hack becouse I have ati old not so good drivers. What I would love would if there where something really close to litestep for linux and stuff and get beryl and the candy aswell. Found a few things whit similiar stuff to litestep but they were really lightweight and basicly only gave you a popupmenu and nothing else and you couldn't have beryl then. Of what I've seen there doesn't seem to be a litestep for linux whit as much customazability as Litestep. This keeps me to windows whit litestep, and becouse up to now so far sucky ati linux drivers.

Posted by member 1 on 2007-09-18 10:21:32 link

As an old school Linux user I can tell you that FVWM has the configurability of LS...but only if you like using colors. enlightenment has the pretty graphics...but less control over the config. And wm2 is the light resource friendly wm.

Posted by member 85608 on 2007-09-18 14:13:00 link

it depends on how you configure you windows manager. i use kde3 mostly and have done a few copy/paste hacks from some forums to give me more streamlined task bars, right-click menus, terminals, etc. but yea, no single cohesive build. there is some stuff you can use in windows to get the beryl look/feel but they seemed half assed. i like the sidebar in vista in principle but its execution is...flawed. too much screen real estate used up for fancyschmancy border effects. i use my logitech g15 for the kind of info the sidebar would show.
errrrmm. i kinda rambled on there. been up since 3 working for the man. anywho...
i would love to see some new fresh ideas in ls or any windows shell replacement. but as it stands now...i have not seen it and i admit i have not done it. the coolest thing i saw was that theme that was that orb thingie you clicked on to get access to stuff...what was that called. not very useful but damn neat.

wergeld

Posted by member 102312 on 2007-10-24 18:09:52 link

I am an avid linux user and I only use winblows when i want to use a certian voip client that has no linux binaries. Currently i run a fluxboxWM on top of a custom gentoo setup. I have gotten it so well configured that i dont even need to log back over into windows to play my games anymore. That makes me very happy, however i still like to play with litestep when i am logged into windows.