Taskbar: Prevent desktop-cycling / Show only icons on current desktop Thread last updated on 2007-07-01 13:48:16

Posted by member 375904 on 2007-06-30 08:13:16

Hi,

- is there a way to configure the taskbar and/or vwm to show only the icons that are on the current desktop?

- how can I disable desktop-cycling? Meaning: if desktops are switched by hotkey then normally switching "right" from the last desktop will switch to the first desktop instead of just stopping. Can that feature be turned off so that on the last (right-most) desktop only the hotkey for "switch to left desktop" will work?

(This refers to the "bangs" !VWMLeft/!VWMRight/!VWMUp/!VWMDown)

THX, jc

Posted by member 375904 on 2007-06-30 08:52:57 link

Found It :-)

Sorry, am LS-newbie.

The module-docs, for example in C:\LiteStep\modules\docs\ckvwm-1.35.txt, describe the settings:

VWMHideTaskOnSwitch true
VWMWrapScreen false

The file also says something about "step.rc". That is not correct.

The settings work ONLY if you put them in C:\LiteStep\profiles\USER\personal\personal.rc (then "recycle" of course)

They do not work in step.rc and not in *vwm*.rc in the themes.

for rabidvwm there is one more setting, also found in personal.rc:

VWMNoWrap true
The defaultsetting is false, and rabidvwm ignores VWMWrapScreen.

Posted by member 1 on 2007-07-01 13:48:16 link

What you have found witht he step.rc is the actual way LS works. Over time "better" ways of using LS has been found, but the only file that actually gets recognized by LS as THE settings file is the step.rc. Since LS was created a setting named include was added and makes the step.rc not the only place to find configuration settings. While it makes things confusing for new users, it is a better way of organizing things once you get used ot it.

As for the setting not working anywhere but the personal.rc...well...that is a minor...ermmm...feature(?)...of OTS2. You see...when it was designed settings were seperated into theme specific and user specific. User speicific settings were put into the personal.rc so that they happened in every theme. Now, if something appears in the personal.rc it will over-ride every theme that that setting appears in. So if you just want it on a per theme basis, remove it from the personal.rc and add it to the theme.rc.

As for the other setting you found. There are multiple VWM modules. As you found the docs for CKVWM and RavidVWM I have to assume you know that already. Each module is different and has their own config settings. Now Im not near a PC with LS on it so I can't help you with the two settings...but I will guess one is for CKVWM and the other for Rabid.