How to: Box to directly edit text files? Thread last updated on 2006-12-16 01:32:39

Posted by member 352133 on 2006-12-12 12:13:05

I've checked TextEdit - it does not appear to do what I am looking for. Nor does XTextEdit or LSLua.

I want to have a configurable box (much like xLabel) which loads a pre-defined text file, allows me to edit it, and will save automatically when the module is unloaded (ie, when the computer is shut down or litestep is refreshed).

I could theoretically configure a box of some sort to load a text file, be editable, and upon "save" command delete all of the contents of a file and then append what's in the box. But that seems like a lot of trouble to go to if there's already something out there, and probably beyond my abilities at this time.

Also... since loose-screws is seemingly no longer around (www.loose-screws.com), are there any good sites for browsing modules by category and that have descriptions of modules any more? I can't find them.

TIA.

Posted by member 212670 on 2006-12-12 14:36:39 link

Modules: http://nbi-studio.com/page.php?2

For the first thing, I believe it's called notepad.exe.

Posted by member 12025 on 2006-12-13 01:07:41 link

comdlgs will do it, too, but no custom skinning, and a lot more work. xLabel can handle a single textbox, but I don't think any LS module has a text area type box :-/.

Posted by member 352133 on 2006-12-13 12:50:47 link

Yeah, notepad, duh. I'm looking for something I can integrate with the theme.

How about a module that offers a "to-do" list? I use rainlendar, but its to-do list isn't always right up front. That's really what I'm looking to do.

xcal, the modules site you gave only gives descriptions for 2 modules. loose-screws had a thing where you could view the description of a module before downloading it - all of these other sites don't offer that, so you have to either already know what you're looking for, or download files and read their descriptions one-by-one. Very annoying.

Posted by member 212670 on 2006-12-13 15:08:32 link

Oh sorry... I don't believe there is a site with module catagories like loose screws had.

Here, I'll help you get started on a postit type label.

*Label post
postX 50
postY 50
postWidth 200
postAutoHeightMode top
postAutoMinHeight 50
;postAutoMaxHeight 200
postSolidColors EEEEEE A6A6A6 000000
postSolidBevelSize 3
postText 'double click to edit'
postBorders 5
postAlwaysOnTop
postAutoLineBreak
postOnLeftDoubleClick !execute [!LabelShow post .editbox][!LabelSetText post .editbox '[labeltext]']
postOnFocusLost !LabelHide post .editbox

postTextEditBox 25 16 150 #ch
postTextEditBoxPadding 1
postTextEditBoxPaintingMode solidcolor
postTextEditBoxSolidColors EEEEEE 000000 A6A6A6
postTextEditBoxSolidBevelSize 3
postTextEditBoxEnterAction !execute [!TextEditBoxExecute post !LabelSetText post '%[textinput]%'][!LabelHide post .editbox]

Just copy/paste that in to a theme that uses a modern version of xlabel (not sure about xpaint, though).

Posted by member 352133 on 2006-12-14 16:32:07 link

Thanks. I'll check this out later, when I'm done catching up with work and am more awake. x-P

I'm going to try to make this so that it will:
• Always have 1 box ready for a new task, or have an "add task" button
• Will save tasks on unload
• Will load tasks on load

I currently don't know how to do any of those things. This should be fun! ^^;;

Posted by member 5575 on 2006-12-16 01:32:39 link

You might check out the traynote app, too.