Xcal: What does "Shift+X" do in FBL Dynamic 1.7? Thread last updated on 2006-05-31 14:04:55

Posted by member 264807 on 2006-05-25 11:08:15

Xcal:

I use your FBL 1.7 theme pretty much exclusivly.

It took me a while to realize what was going on when I was never able to type a capitol X without using CAPS lock. At first I thought it was my keyboard, then when I replaced it and still had the same issue I reset the shell back to Explorer (ick!) and the problem went away. Once I realized something in Litestep was doing this, I started poking around and found this entry in themevars.rc:

hkcphidden 1
key X
modkey 3
modtxt SHIFT
*HotKey $modtxt$ $key$ !xpropfreeze

Is this what is causing SHIFT+X to not input any text? I tried removing this entry and I can now make a capitol X with the SHIFT key, but I get errors when I start Litestep or recycle FBL, to the effect of:

variable "modtxt" not defined

And:

variable "key" not defined.

?

Posted by member 87462 on 2006-05-25 11:48:46 link

try changing the line:
modtxt SHIFT
to
modtxt ALT

then use ALT + X

Posted by member 212670 on 2006-05-25 13:27:24 link

redwdc's way will work, but then the modkey # will become out of sync. You don't need to edit the themevars.rc directly - all the options are available through the theme itself. But, it was kind of dumb of me to leave that hotkey as shift+x. >.<

The shift+x hotkey is to freeze xprop when making a color style, so you can "sample" colors (by right clicking the buttons in the style controls). To change the hotkey within the theme, hold shift and left click the desktop - select Style Options, then Style Controls. You'll see the "Current Hotkey" listed under the xprop viewer. To change it, click on "Set Hotkey." Click any modifier button (ctrl/alt/shift/none) and in the "Key:" box, put in what key you want to use. Then, click the check mark to the lower right of the hotkey options to confirm the new settings.

Posted by member 264807 on 2006-05-25 13:39:25 link

Thanks, I got it working. Boy that was a wierd one, for a while there I wondered if I had a goofy virus, or if a coworker was playing games with my system :D

Posted by member 212670 on 2006-05-25 13:44:01 link

Btw, glad you like the theme. I have a newer version with all the scripts converted to lslua, and there's a nice speed increase when recycling, particularly while the weather is on. I also have the shortcuts removed from the popup and back where they were in the previous version. Plus, they're dynamic now, where you can add/remove shortcut buttons and they're written/removed from the file on the fly. I just need to clean up the popups before it's ready for a release, and tweak some other stuff. It'll be a bit, but it's coming, eventually.

Posted by member 264807 on 2006-05-31 14:04:55 link

Sounds good xcal, can't wait to see it.

Thanks for all the great work.