Updating modules Thread last updated on 2006-04-09 17:44:21

Posted by member 302889 on 2006-04-08 12:12:37

Hi all,

i have scoured this forum on info for updating modules but can't find any so far.

I know that to install a module you can put the module zip file in modules\archive and refresh LS and the module will be installed for you. What do i need to do to update existing modules?

I put the updated modules zip files in the modules\archive folder hoping that it would update automatically on a refresh but they didn't.

I have checked litestep.net and lsdocs.shellfront.org but neither seem to have any info on this. I also checked through the whole LS folder but couldn't find an update module command or even a config file to declare modules in.

I did notice in the theme.rc file that it declares the modules it needs to work, so if i change the info for the modules i want to update, will LS automatically install and update the modules on a refresh?

Thanks for your time.

Posted by member 302889 on 2006-04-08 12:16:36 link

e.g.

in the theme.rc file, if i change the following line...

RainlendarRevID rainlendar-0.19.3

to...

RainlendarRevID rainlendar-0.21

will this have the desired effect?

Cheers again

Posted by member 1 on 2006-04-08 13:46:26 link

Yes...all you are doing by putting it in the archive folder is making another version of the same module available. You would then need to tell all of your themes to use it and configure those themes to support them.

Posted by member 212670 on 2006-04-08 13:48:29 link

Ya, that will work for that given theme. The problem with updating modules, though, is if the newer module has changed syntax for settings, or even settings removed, you can have problems with that theme. So, don't update modules unless you're ok with also updating a theme's settings, if necessary.

Posted by member 302889 on 2006-04-08 20:42:30 link

Thanks guys.

i only really use the Obsidian theme anyway.

I did have a problem with the rainmeter settings when i updated it since the syntax of some of it had changed but i got it sorted in the end.

The reason i did this was that my memory usage whenever i used the Obsidian theme was up at over 623mb and i thought updating the LS Core and modules might fix it. Turns out it was the 'lssliderfoo' module which was causing the excessive memory usage. Not sure why that should be so i've just commented it out of the startup code.

Since i never used the sliders anyway i want to replace the volume and position sliders in the Obsidian theme with the text of the name and artist of the tune that is playing in winamp. Any suggestion on where i should start looking e.g. modules etc?

Cheers for your help.

Posted by member 1 on 2006-04-08 20:47:21 link

xLabel

Posted by member 302889 on 2006-04-09 17:44:21 link

i figured it out.

the taskbar at the bottom of my screen already had some text about what winamp was doing so i just moved it across to the place that the scrollbars had been and split it into 2 with the song name on the top line and the artist on the bottom. modified it a wee bit (scrolling and fading) and now it looks really nice.

cheers devil