I'm new to LiteStep and all... (I think I need rainmeter help) Thread last updated on 2006-02-26 14:00:16

Posted by member 309087 on 2006-02-26 00:48:53

Well, I recently got LiteStep and I must say that I'm loving the efficiency, but I haven't yet gotten the hang of configuring everything (I got LiteStep in the past 2 hours ^^)

I had downloaded a theme that I could use as a means for accomplishing all my basic tasks until I understood how LiteStep worked, and I noticed that the theme had this nifty feature where on the desktop it said my processor speed, RAM usage, disk space, etc. I looked at some of the modules that are installed on this, and I believe that it's being done by the "rainmeter" module. Could someone please tell me how I could configure rainmeter to do this in a theme of my own?

Posted by member 1 on 2006-02-26 00:54:41 link

Processor speed wouldn't be coming from rainmeter, it would come from Label or xLabel. However, the other information could come from rainmeter. If you go into modules\Docs you will find information on configuring all of the modules currently installed by LS. Here you should find all of the information you need on Rainmeter.

Posted by member 309087 on 2006-02-26 01:19:23 link

Well the thing that confuses me is that on the theme that I'm attempting to imitate all the information was directly written on the desktop, but on the theme that I'm editting the information is part of the bar at the bottom. What do I edit to fix this?

Also, I read the rainmeter documentation and couldn't figure it out. If I need to read a different documentation or if there's something I didn't understand, please explain.

Posted by member 1 on 2006-02-26 02:50:23 link

Well...as with everything LS...there is more than one way to get the job done. Now...writing text information on the desktop would be done with xLabel. Getting graphs for that information would require rainmeter.

And I don't understand the second part of your...ermmm...question?

Posted by member 212670 on 2006-02-26 03:24:29 link

Litestep might be for you if...
1. You like to skin cats.

Rainmeter isn't exactly a newbie friendly module. Like DeV brings up: xLabel. Extremely well documented, and can do sooo many things.

Posted by member 309087 on 2006-02-26 10:10:54 link

Thank you, everyone ^^ I'll start reading through the xLabel documentation, then.

Posted by member 309087 on 2006-02-26 13:10:33 link

I think I understand how to use xLabel now to create text on the desktop (I haven't tested it, but I read the entire documentation and I think I understand it) but how do I make dynamic text based on rainmeter? I don't quite understand making modules implement other modules yet .>

Posted by member 212670 on 2006-02-26 14:00:16 link

xLabel will handle displaying cpu/mem/drive etc info all on its own.

LabelNameText "[meminuse(%)]"

...for example, will show your memory usage in a %. You can leave out the (%) and it will just use the default, to display KB (I think it's KB... I forget the default, actually). See the section on Text Escape Sequences.

Like DeV was saying, rainmeter is better if you want to make graph type things (although, you can make labels do them with a little trickery).