Taskbar + VWM (and some)? *Hide tasks on switch* Thread last updated on 2006-02-22 20:31:03

Posted by member 284789 on 2006-02-15 12:32:29

I saw both ckVWM and RabidVWM seem to have some features that were developed to allow the user to hide applications from the taskbar when switching desktops.

I keep reading documents, trying different modules, but I just can't get it to work!?

it said to include some other module and set it up to make it compatable for this feature...tried that too!

I'm also having problems setting the left mouse key for both ckWVM and RabidVWM, I want to be able to just click to switch...Semms there must be a conflict with the mini-mindow drag functionality.

Pretty much, I am working on a skin and I want it to have austerity style, but refined further than KDE (linux) and Windows. So any help on my quest would be great!
Anyone that wants to help out, just contact me and I will send you a copy of my skin. *may be a while though, I plan on re-coding the config files for more features and optimizations.

Posted by member 1885 on 2006-02-15 12:41:33 link

Hm, I think I've used that feature in some theme... possibly xBar. Hold on, I'm gonna have a look at it.

Edit: Yeah... xBar only shows the tasks on the active virtual desktop. The theme uses bangvwm 0.41 and xtaskbar 1.3.6, so I know for a fact that it works with those modules. Haven't explored it further though, as I'm not too fond of that behavior :)

Posted by member 284789 on 2006-02-15 12:53:37 link

never heard of xBar...
Also, you said it uses bangvwm? Does this eliminate mini-view?

Here is what I am looking for: (which I may end up having to code myself)
- mini-view with vwm, in which windows can be dragged accross desktops (already deafult feature of most vwm modules)
- Quick, single, left-click will change to that desktop
- Applications open on different desktops are not shown on others (applications are hid from taskbar if on other desktop)

I am also finding rabidvwm buggy at my high resolution (poor window hiding...parts sometime visible) 1280x1024

Posted by member 99 on 2006-02-22 18:06:22 link

I'm pretty sure you can get what you want with existing VWMs, though I can't think of exactly the right syntax offhand. I think Smurth had some themes that used the same mouse button for both dragging windows and switching desktops.

Also, could you email me (rabidcow@rcow.net) with more details about the bugs? I don't have problems and my total desktop res. is 4352x1264, so I doubt size by itself is a problem.

Posted by member 5575 on 2006-02-22 20:31:03 link

Rabidvwm can change desktops with a left click - that's how I do it. It's just that most themers use the default, and set it up differently. You can define the functions of each mouse button, like so:

VWMMouseRight 2
VWMMouseLeft 1
VWMMouseMiddle 0

This is all in the docs, mind you:
VWMMouseLeft
VWMMouseRight
VWMMouseMiddle

These select an action for each mouse button when you click on the vwm window. Valid actions are:

0 Do nothing
1 Switch desktops
2 Drag miniwindow
(hold down CTRL to snap on drop)

The default for left is drag and right is switch desktops.

You should be using version 1.2.2 also, unless you're using XP's visual styles. I think the 1.2.1i version was supposed to have a fix for maximized ms-styled windows, but that was buggy for me. 1.2.2 works much better IMO. I'm running 1280x1024, too, BTW.