Win XP + LiteStep iNet problem Thread last updated on 2003-03-27 01:15:53

Posted by member 8104 on 2003-03-25 12:17:05

I want to know if any of you have this problem, if it is LS related, and (most importantly) how i can fix it if any of you know. I am using the original theme that comes with LiteStep now (simplicity, right?) on a Win XP Pro machine. I connect via a WAN card to a stationary wireless connection to the internet. I can connect fine, but not to everything. I thought maybe this was a firewall issue, so I made myself the DMZ host on the router, made sure WinXP's firewall was off, and ensured that I wasn't behind any other kind of firewall. Here are my problems: after connecting to both AIM and Yahoo Messenger, they each said that there was an update available. I updated them. Now I cannot connect to either. I also cannot connect to the server that has WinXP SP1, nor MSN Messenger, though I was able to download and install everything else from windows update. Anybody? Anything?

Posted by member 1 on 2003-03-25 13:14:43 link

nope...no clue...sounds like a flakey net connection to me though...

Posted by member 4401 on 2003-03-25 13:17:14 link

Some of these LS gurus might have something else to say about this but I've never had nor heard of such a problem. I can't imagine why LS would cause those problems unless perhaps there's a module loading that's somehow screwing with stuff. LS itself only loads modules, it doesn't really do much else on it's own. I use Trillian so I don't know how MSN, AIM or Yahoo behave.

Reset Explorer as your shell and see if you continue to have problems.

Posted by member 8104 on 2003-03-25 13:22:36 link

I really didn't think it could be LS, but I did want to put it out there just to see. I've been meaning to try switching back to explorer to check if that'd work, but haven't had the time - heck, I haven't even spent more than an hour at home at a time except for sleeping in a week! Also, it's not a flakey connection in the sense of a slow or "droppy" connection - it's a dedicated stationary wireless at 768/768. Anyway, if nothing LS related pops up on this thread soon (I was thinking today), then go ahead and close it (email me and let me know, though?).

Posted by member 820 on 2003-03-25 17:37:05 link

Try grabbing a shell swapping and booting into explorer to see if it fixes it, but it sounds like a bad wireless connection to me :(

Posted by member 7 on 2003-03-26 02:05:34 link

Does the same happen if you load no shell at all?

Posted by member 8104 on 2003-03-27 01:15:13 link

All - It seems that it is not a shell problem at all. Tonight, when I signed online, I checked to see if I could install the XP SP1, and it worked (in LS), along with AIM and Yahoo. MSN messenger still doesn't work, but we'll see. Anyway, thanks for the ideas anyway! :)

Posted by member 8104 on 2003-03-27 01:15:53 link

... I am from the Department of Redundancy Department is where I am from ....