Google Deskbar for Litestep Thread last updated on 2006-02-08 20:40:39

Posted by member 304867 on 2006-02-08 10:34:11

Does anyone out there know if there is a litestep module that works like the google deskbar? I loved that little search bar sitting on my taskbar when I was using explorer, it saved me SO much time.

Posted by member 1885 on 2006-02-08 12:11:45 link

Well, if you use lsxcommand you can just type ? and then the word or phrase you want to search for (e.g. "? litestep"). That'll instantly run a google search and open the results in your browser.

Posted by member 212670 on 2006-02-08 14:09:26 link

(edit)
If you use an xlabel editbox you can pass off the command to lsxcommand, and eliminate the need to type ?google at all, like so (one line):
LabelNameTextEditBoxEnterAction !TextEditBoxExecute LabelName !Command ?google "%[textinput]%"

Posted by member 280260 on 2006-02-08 15:54:13 link

lsxcommand lets you set a default search in the engines.list file, so you can just use "? litestep".

If you want google desktop search functionality, you have to add another engine to your engines.list file. I'm away from my computer right now so I'll post the real thing later, but it's something like:

googleDesktop "http://127.0.0.1:4334?search=[args]..."

I'll post the real thing later.

I just used this in one of my themes - I recommend docking lsxcommand to a label instead of using a separate editbox, because lsxcommand supports a lot of functionality (eg calculator, complete engine list) that you can't get from xlabel alone.

Posted by member 212670 on 2006-02-08 17:08:48 link

Oops, ya. It wasn't working for me because I forgot the space. Sorry, West.

Btw, the complete engine list can be called with !CommandShowContextMenu, so don't actually have to lose that. Anyway, you can skip the "?" with an editbox, if you weren't looking for the other functions. But, I would still sooner just have an lsxcommand, too.

Posted by member 280260 on 2006-02-08 20:40:39 link

The calculatoris the one that kills me - when I was using an editobox and tried to do calculator functions lsxcommand would focus itself in the top left corner and wouldn't go away.

In case you're interested, the right setting for the desktop entry is

I'm not sure about any arguments besides the args. The best thing to do would probably to do a desktop search for "" and copy the address bar. But I didn't need to tell you that....