Long-distance media PC theme? Thread last updated on 2006-02-12 19:46:26

Posted by member 304877 on 2006-02-07 09:44:23

Right. I use my PC largely as a media centre, and I currently have it set up so that all the fonts are large and visible, the icons are big, the browser defaults to large fonts, and so on, so that I can use it without having to peer forward to make out what the tiny squiggles mean.

Now, looking through the themes for LS I see that most of them seem to be designed to look slim and sexy for people running ridiculously high-res displays. Like me. However, I can't use these because I'm operating from across the room with a wireless mouse and keyboard, and a bar that's only five pixels high is going to be difficult to operate.

So... has anyone made a theme that's got nice big, chunky bits and pieces that can be used on a high-res display (okay, 1280x1024) without eyestrain? If anyone's made a start, I may be interested enough to develop it a bit further. Any ideas?

Thanks

-=Matte=-

Posted by member 1885 on 2006-02-07 10:52:28 link

Maybe I'm missing some important point here but...

You need everything to be big so you can see it from across the room.

You're running 1280x1204 and everything's too small.

Um... lower the resolution?

Posted by member 304877 on 2006-02-07 11:28:09 link

I could do that, but let's face it, if I can run at something up to 1600xwhatever, it's a waste of the equipment to bump it down to 800x600. Plus everything would look jaggy and unpleasant, movies wouldn't be as crisp, and I'd still have to squint to read things because the fonts would look rubbish in low-res. So basically, I'd prefer to have a theme that's built for high detail, that's designed to be viewed from maybe 4-5m away from a 19-inch monitor. With big buttons. And big text. That's smooth... and preferably something my girlfriend won't find too hard to use. But that could be pushing things. :)

Posted by member 1885 on 2006-02-07 11:39:20 link

Aah, gotcha. I must have misunderstood you. You're actually using your monitor to watch movies on, I thought you used it just as a control interface, using TV out for viewing video.

Hmm. I've never seen such a theme myself, and it's such a specialized concept that I doubt you'll have any luck. But... why not make one yourself? :)

Posted by member 1 on 2006-02-07 14:35:30 link

uhmmm...your reasons for not changing resolutions are flawed. When you increase your resolution you do not gain pixels per inch. Running a movie at 1600x1200 vs. 800x600 will not make the movie crisper nor easier to read, actually it would be the opposite as you are stretching movies to fit the resolution, unless you have 4G DivX files encoded at 1600x1200...but thats just crazy like. The only thing you will gain at a high resolution is space to put more crap.

Posted by member 212670 on 2006-02-07 15:06:33 link

In FBL Dynamic, you can pick your font and font size (and customize the color).

(That theme is going to be updated shortly, too.)

I know fractal has released themes with fonts that can be customized, too. Not sure which those were, atm, but you can search the themes by author.

Posted by member 304877 on 2006-02-08 07:46:17 link

I'll take a look at FBL Dynamic when I get a chance, but it does look like I'll have to find the time to put together a theme that does what I want it to, the way I want it to. Now where did I put that Paintbrush...?

Posted by member 248213 on 2006-02-11 16:58:21 link

Someone needs to make some generic big button control interface for these people (like the guy with the comp in his car)

It wouldnt be hard to build, with xLabel ;)

Although if you make it yourself youll know how to add stuff and make it more tailored to your needs.

Posted by member 299300 on 2006-02-12 19:46:26 link

Someone needs to make some generic big button control interface for these people (like the guy with the comp in his car)

Fractal, I choose ... YOU!!

*ducks*