Dynamic Icon/Shortcut Label Thread last updated on 2006-01-19 10:27:44

Posted by member 134680 on 2006-01-19 08:22:00

hi there.
Was wondering something, and it may sound crazy.
Im an artist, not a coder, for starters. I can script nwn like a super intelligent monkey on caffeine, but i still havent achieved true ultimate enlightenment with module hooking and such...
Anyway.

I would like to crate a small icon bar SIMILAR to quicklaunch, drag and drop would be nice, but i dont really care.
Is there a way to do any of the following...

1: Use the xpopup quicklaunch popup, and hook that into an xlabel as if it was always open (pinned)? if so, how do you do that?
OR
2: Is there a way to make icondesk sit on top of modules like shortcut2? I have tried sacrificing goats and chickens, but the gods laugh mockingly.
OR
3: Is there a module that actually does a quicklaunch-esque thing?

I have tried deskfolders, but I dont like the way you can change icon size OR hide the text. Can I hide the text on deskfolders? if that would work, hey, quicklaunch.

As I have said, i already tried to make icondesk always on top, but that aint happening any time soon...

ANY help would be extremely appreciated... once i work this out, i can post this damned theme.

Posted by member 1885 on 2006-01-19 08:52:01 link

1. Hmm... not sure about hooking to a label, but you can pin xpopup's quicklaunch directly to the desktop.

2. Why on earth would you want to use shortcut2 to begin with?

3. Yes, this one.

Posted by member 37809 on 2006-01-19 10:27:44 link

1: Maybe. I've not tried the following: load the child before the parent (xpopup before xlabel) and then use kidnap-0.2 and scripting to do the hooking. Not sure what happens should you lose the child somehow.

May be able to kidnap clickonic-1.0, alternatively.. and you may be able to fake text hiding if you have a solid background color...

2: IIRC, icondesk draws on the desktop window. To test this, try loading icondesk before the desktop, or don't load a desktop module.

3: No one should use the module called 'quicklaunch'. It is troublesome.