Li'l help? (For those who have too much time on their hands) Thread last updated on 2006-01-23 13:28:10

Posted by member 71746 on 2006-01-15 19:01:53

I convey greetings unto you all! :D

Been a year or two since I've posted anything here, glad to see my account hasn't been nuked ;)

Just switched back to one of my old themes after using the same one for almost 2 years, and I've found that everything works fine on my old theme *except* that when I use the standard hotkey I have assigned in my personal\hotkey.rc to issue the !ShutDown command (Win-S), instead of bringing up XP's shut-down menu, the screen flashes. That's it.

In repeatedly hitting Win-S I can see that it's adding a task to the taskbar then that task is killing itself fast enough that the icon for the task doesn't even appear in the taskbar, but the taskbar does its resizing routine then resizes back after the screen-flash.

It's a rather nice theme, not sure why I stopped using it in the first place, but in any case I'd like to be able to shut down my system without bringing up the task manager ;)

If anyone knows why it might be doing this or has some time to investigate and would otherwise be bored, I'd definitely appreciate the help! :D

I'll put the theme file up on my webserver in case anyone wants to check the modules used or the cfg's or anything.

http://www.rofl.net/tmp/tabular.lsz

Thanks!

Posted by member 71746 on 2006-01-15 19:07:54 link

Addendum: It occurred to me that since the taskbar was wiggin' out, that'd be a good first place to try troubleshooting.. I semi-colon'ed out the netloadmodule command that called taskbar3 in the theme.rc.. No taskbar loads, but the !ShutDown command works properly!

So it seems to be a problem with taskbar3-0.306_alpha-3.

I've re-enabled the call for taskbar3 and I've found that the shutdown menu shows properly if the taskbar is hidden - the problem actually only occurs if the taskbar is shown. This means that I can use the hotkey to hide the taskbar before using the hotkey to shut down, but that's just a work-around for the problem.

What would be ideal would be an actual solution to the problem as it might help in future applications where this might crop up and not be so easily worked around...

Posted by member 1885 on 2006-01-15 19:27:46 link

Welcome back! :)

You should definitely switch to xTaskbar; it can do everything Taskbar3 can and much much more... and it's also a lot less buggy. You'll have to rewrite the taskbar config from scratch though, but I think you'll find it worth the effort.

Posted by member 45783 on 2006-01-23 13:28:10 link

Seconded. xTaskbar rules.