*Hotkey problem with KDE theme Thread last updated on 2005-12-26 05:33:28

Posted by member 289023 on 2005-12-25 04:08:00

Hello all!

I have designet my own skin and the KDE skin is so far the best skin to start changing to get my skin to come alive. I have one problem with it that I have to get sorted.

Every time I start/recycle the skin I get 2 error messages like below for each Hotkey that I have in my Personal/Hotkeys.rc.

The message is.....

Hotkey failed to register.

Error while processing definition:
*Hotkey Ctrl+Alt R !Recycle

If anyone knowes how I can fix this or how I can make a work around I would be very greatfull so I can get started with my own skin :-)

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-12-25 04:43:26 link

1st: Its generally called a "Theme", not a "Skin", but it doesnt really matter I guess...

You could change the hotkey's, if thats no problem ;) (*Hotkey Ctrl+WIN R !Recycle, for example)

If you need that specific hotkey sequence: Usually some other app has that hotkey allready, but it might be your theme that is trying to set it aswell.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-12-25 05:44:04 link

I'm betting that theme is including the hotkey.rc. Check in the rc files for that theme (probably theme.rc) and if you see something like "include $personaldir$hotkey.rc", remove it. Litestep already includes it by default, so the theme would create a redundancy error.

Posted by member 289023 on 2005-12-25 12:31:04 link

fractaldesign: hum.... Theme is the correct word for it. I am just so used to call it a skin. I tried to change the hotkeys, I changed the Ctrl+Alt R to Ctrl+Alt O and tried others to, but to no use, but I have found a work around for it :-)

xcal: I didn’t find any include in the Theme file. I found something in the Popup.rc but removing it didn’t make a difference. So I assume that is for something else.

What I have managed to do is to copied all the Hotkeys out from the hotkes.rc and pasted them in to the Theme.rc file in the KDE theme and that worked. So the problem is sort of solved, but it would be nice to find the real cause for it. So anyone have any more ideas I will try them :-)

Thanks for you’re fast replies

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-12-25 15:37:13 link

there are no include lines in the whole KDE theme? (i thought that was quite a complex theme... meh)

Posted by member 289023 on 2005-12-25 15:45:06 link

Nope there are no include lines what so ever in that theme and it is quite a complex theme. I am having little to much code to work on with this theme. I would want to trim the code down a bit but don’t know what I can and can not remove. So I have loads of junk code that isn’t doing much I think. But that will be a later problem.

My major problem is that I want my theme to be transparent. I thought I could just make the png files transparent. omg was I wrong. It xbar, xtray, xpop that I will have to use later from what I have found. Do you know where I can find info on the x modules? Is there a database somewhere with info on all the diffent plugins that I can use for Litestep?

Posted by member 289023 on 2005-12-25 16:02:20 link

Here you have a link to the page where the theme is. Its the secound one from bottom right.

LINK

Here is a link to the picture.

LINK

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-12-25 16:23:49 link

It's the personal.rc file, rather than the hotkey.rc file. So, it's like it's loading jkey twice. Essentially what I said, but wrong file, sorry.

Btw, and this will come as a shocker to the regulars here, the answer is right in that theme's responses.

Posted by member 289023 on 2005-12-25 16:47:45 link

hum.... I missed the include stuff before. Sorry could not find it. In the Theme.rc file there is

include "$PersonalDir$personal.rc"
include "$PersonalDir$evars.rc"
Include "$ConfigDir$Popup.rc"

But you dont have any includes to hotkey so I think it should be fine. KDE includes Personal.rc and that file includes hotkey.rc. Hehe.... I am feeling a bit lost in all this. Gratz mate you are talking to a noob ;-P

Hehe... My theme is slowly coming together the way I want it :-) Will get intresting if I will be able to get it all transparent the way I want to later.

Posted by member 289023 on 2005-12-25 16:48:58 link

I rock :-) I never thought that this coude would work., but amasingly it did :-D

IF toggleall=ON
jAmpBackBmp amp_status.png
ELSE
jAmpBackBmp amp_status_2.png
End IF

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-12-25 22:52:40 link

look at the module readme's for ghods sake. $litestepDir$modules\docs\

Posted by member 289023 on 2005-12-26 05:33:28 link

Thanks fractaldesign I hade no idea that there were documentations that I could read. This will help me loads. Thanks