Favorite Thread last updated on 2005-12-20 18:50:28

Posted by member 290779 on 2005-12-19 07:08:10

I was just wondering which themes you guys think are the best.

Posted by member 12025 on 2005-12-19 08:02:17 link

It's a secret. Not because I can't tell you, but because it will take me forever to finish it. But it's my favorite :).

OK, smartass mode off.

I use Hymn 43 2.x every day for real work, so obviously, that, and that shows my bias towards functionality and minimal use of screen space. Of other folks', Logic.dream is sweet, as is FBL Dynamic. Popsicle is cool, too, but needs some maturing (Complex_Simplicity is the same way, and I wish he'd release an update).

Now, as far as themes that are really cool and original, Logic.Dream would also be on the list, but the first that comes to my mind--that you can use, anyway--is Tokidoki.

Of old themes, Darkfyre's e## themes. Anybody know where these can be found? Only a couple here, now. I like floating stuff, and they had GUI options and style, way before it was easy to do so. Oh, yeah: Vodka Martini, the first well-done boxed theme, and a theme that completely pushed the limits of what could be done at the time.

There are more, but hopefully others can add them in, 'cause I don't have the attention span right now to browse through them :).

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-19 12:39:56 link

I have copies of e14 and e15. If there are others in there they have a different filename and I would need those.

As for themes...I'm not going to get very specific...

1) Any theme by jalist
2) Any theme by dreamer
3) Any theme by Darkfyre
4) Xhenit
5) Any theme by tech.spider

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-12-19 15:09:46 link

The best theme you'll ever use is one you make for yourself... My favorite theme is the modified FBL Dynamic I'm using. I converted all the scripts to lua, and shrunk the shortcut panel and hooked it in to a popup. It's my favorite, because I made it for me, and I like screwing with colors and fonts. :D

For other people's themes, I like technical stuff, where I can dig through rc files and maybe learn something. So Cerbie's stuff of course, plus fractal's (if only he'd make his scripts tidier!), and sryo's.

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-12-19 16:11:17 link

I definetly agree with xcal. My scripts are messy as! :D

But yeah, stuff you make yourself is allways going to be the best IMO.

Beause your allways going to tweak someone elses anyway, plus its easy to understand your computer (or theme) when youve made it all.

I havent used anyone elses them in ages, but I have "learnt" alot from cerbie's and xcal's themes.

Its hard to remember any really neato themes... probably thats why I made my own, or something...

Conclusion: My favourite is Lock.Solid (atm anyway)

Posted by member 12025 on 2005-12-19 20:58:08 link

Ah, crap! Totally forgot Sryo!
Orb and Minix2 are awesome. Nothing exceptional in them, but it's hard to find themes so robust, yet so simple and elegant, inside and out.

Posted by member 290779 on 2005-12-19 21:54:17 link

in response to xcal, i know about making themes as much as i know what's going through Bushes head (to be fair i'm independent) but i'd love to lear if you can direct me to some helpful information.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-12-19 22:59:01 link

I did already. =) The theme section here can be sorted by author.

If you're looking for something to install that will catch your eye and give you that "this is cool!" factor, check out themes by Jafo, BobixLeSage (Anubis rocks for graphic style), techsio, Immortal, Phar0e...I could go on and on. Those guys have graphical talent in addition to being able to create themes. I wish I didn't suck at graphics. =\

Posted by member 98441 on 2005-12-20 18:50:27 link

Never written any themes but struggled with alot of them.
Guess that makes me Bush Jr;)
Glaze by DrWorm, Fo-Src by Guna-hi, pSyche by minusnine and _underscore_ by gogg have always been favourites of mine.
Of the newer themes i really like xcal's FBL Dynamic and of course the new Obsidian theme.