lsxcommand Thread last updated on 2005-12-14 23:52:36

Posted by member 290891 on 2005-12-13 11:37:04

Would it be possible to have the lsxcommand window scroll like unix/linux? I hate how it only shows one line, i'd prefer to have it be a whole scrolling window.

Also, I was wondering if it's possible to output a text file onto the screen, I want to setup a sort of help file system.

------------------

Another question, but off the topic of lsxcommand, I was wondering if it's possible to embed a program into the desktop to do something like have a calculator always in the background or something along those lines.

I've never bothered to modify windows before.. so i'm new to this.. but i'm not stupid XD I can figure things out, just need a point in the right direction.

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-13 14:10:07 link

1) What information are you trying to scroll? Winamp text can already scroll and why would you scroll date/time?
2) Yes...use a label
3) Yes...use a bunch of labels and hotkeys

Posted by member 290891 on 2005-12-13 21:42:23 link

Thanks for the reply(s).

The information would be basically like a history.

Exa.

----------------------
!window minimize
!wall "get"
etc.
etc.
etc.
--------------------

Basically just as if you were typing the commands into notepad, pressing enter would go down one line.
Not very important.. just the background for whatever reason for lsxcommand won't work, so the empty box looks kind of lame :-p.

-edit

Well i've got another use for lsxcommand, output information to it, in my theme I have it setup to display messages when certain things happen(system tray icon added, removed, stuff loading, etc.) very inconveinient(spelling?) when many have to show at once. I'd like to have the information to appear in the lsxcommand window, rather than take up more space.

I'm thinking maybe add a transparent window over the lsxcommand to output the data on, while still keeping the functionality of lsxcommand itself

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-14 01:52:25 link

If you put a transparent window over LSXCommand you won't be able to use LSXCommand so what is the point of loading it. You would need to use Label for all of your informative stuff because you can't change LSXCommand's text on the fly.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-12-14 03:02:44 link

You can change lsxcommand's text on the fly like so, for example:

xTrayOnAdd !CommandShowText "Icon Added"
*OnRun [Winamp][Winamp][!CommandShowText "Winamp Started"][]

You can click "through" labels if you define (LabelName)Ghosted True.

I agree that a Label would be better for outputing info, though, since it's more flexible for text display.

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-14 10:42:39 link

Didn't see that !Bang in my skim through the docs...my mistake.

Posted by member 280260 on 2005-12-14 21:03:33 link

As for your second question, it's certainly possible. There are a couple of modules that have that sort of functionality already (e.g. the Rainlendar calendar), and you can create your own. A calculator would be tough (impossible?) to do without scripting, but I'm sure you could find help on how to do that.

Posted by member 51749 on 2005-12-14 23:45:19 link

actually, this brings up question ive had for a while... can you embed a dosbox in the desktop somehow? just a standard windows cmd.exe?

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-14 23:52:36 link

vertigoalopolus :: Take a look at an application called console. You can't "embed" it per-say because you couldn't use it...but you can make it transparent and minimize it.