Theme Creation (Photoshop Question) Thread last updated on 2003-03-31 04:24:10

Posted by member 17893 on 2003-03-22 09:02:34

For some odd reason when I create an image in photoshop with the magenta background, and use it in litestep it has a pink halo around it. I understand why; photoshop anti-aliases the image blending the pixels nearest the image with the pure rgb value of magenta, resulting in litestep not recognizing it as a transparent mask. What I hope somebody knows is how to stop Photoshop from anti-aliasing the images. Following the help option in Photoshop to turn off anti-aliasing when saving doesn't do the job, but is the only option that sounded close. Can anybody help?

Posted by member 1 on 2003-03-22 09:05:16 link

Instead of attempting to create transparent PNG images you are prolly better off just replacing your magenta with MagicPink(tm)

Posted by member 1783 on 2003-03-22 09:07:26 link

just started using photoshop, so i dunno it's features really, but you could paint the anti-aliased outlines over, so there's no mixing your img's colors with the magic magneta.
of course if it's a large img then it's a quite nasty job, good luck ;)

Posted by member 17893 on 2003-03-22 09:16:06 link

DeViLbOi, what is MagicPink? If you are referring to the color that Litestep treats as a transparency, MagicPink IS magenta, unless you are talking about something else?
Oh, and thanks Egonz, I thought about that, but a pixel by pixel repaint of an outline when I'm looking at 15 to 20 very complex shapes, well, there isnt enough caffeine or nicotine in the world to keep my sanity intact.

Posted by member 1 on 2003-03-22 09:19:31 link

MagicPink is not Magenta. Magenta is a cross between Purple and Red. MagicPink is actually a Pink color.

Posted by member 17893 on 2003-03-22 09:29:11 link

Sorry, confusion and mistaken terms on my part, the color I have been referring to as magenta is in fact magicpink, or more specifically, RGB 255,0,255. That is what I have been using, the problem still remains that photoshop anti-aliases it with the pixels in the image giving me a pink halo? Do you know how to work around this?

Posted by member 1 on 2003-03-22 09:30:44 link

use a solid brush and shut off all anti-aliasing support in PhotoShop

Posted by member 17893 on 2003-03-22 09:33:57 link

Hrmm.. will try again, turning off anti-aliasing somehow doesn't seem to turn off anti-aliasing for some weird reason, I was hoping I could find a way just to put two layers together without anti-aliasing them together, as I still want to be able to anti-alias the layer with my images. Thanks.

Posted by member 1 on 2003-03-22 09:36:28 link

you could always cut and paste your images together instead of compressing the layers.

Posted by member 17893 on 2003-03-22 09:40:42 link

True, but when you save as a bmp Photoshop automatically compresses the layers and anti-aliases them, thats the root of my problem. Since most of my shortcuts are basically the same size, I have one background image of MagicPink, I load it, create a large image, create my graphic with the pen tool, do all the shiny pretty stuff to it, shrink/scale it down to size, and then cut and paste either onto the MagicPink, or onto a new layer on the MagicPink, both cases which seems to result in the pink halo effect? If that works for you, then maybe my problem isn't a *knowhow* problem, but a technical problem?

Posted by member 99 on 2003-03-22 11:25:30 link

Create the image with no magic pink, only transparent layers.
Flatten the image so there's one layer with transparency.
ctrl-click the image in the layer palette to select non-transparent pixels.
Create a new layer below that one using the selection as a mask. (this might be 2 steps depending on what ver. you're using)
With the mask on the new layer selected, adjust the brightness/contrast and set the contrast to 100%.
Add your magic pink layer at the bottom and save it.

You'll still get a halo, but this way you can make it blend in so it's not noticable.

Posted by member 602 on 2003-03-24 14:22:07 link

There's no automatic way to make PS stopp using AA, but you can check "lock transparent pixels" on the layers having an edge to the background. But a better way to do it (in my opinion) is to make a layer on top of all others with all magic pink areas. This way, instead of removing stuff you want transparent, you add pink to the top layer. This is a good layer to add borders and such too. Hope this helps.

Posted by member 1783 on 2003-03-25 02:16:22 link

i have been usin corel photo-paint 8 & 10 for a long time, but many say that photoshop is the best. should i make the switch? and is there any good tutorials for photoshop-beginners?

Posted by member 602 on 2003-03-25 05:40:39 link

There are some great tutorials at http://www.eyesondesign.net. But best of all are all the links to other tutorial sites there. I'm not sure about how beginner oriented they are, but there should be some.

Posted by member 5669 on 2003-03-29 13:36:50 link

couldn't this problem be fixed if he just used png's?

Posted by member 182 on 2003-03-31 04:22:12 link

yes and no. not all modules support png's alpha layer, so for the ones that don't the pink outline being see will just get replaced with black.

what you should try doing, is hitting ctrl-shift-c to copy all layers, then hit ctrl-n to make a new image. into this, paste your image. now, make a new layer and fill with the colour your images are 'fading' to.
flatten this image, set the magic wand tool to 0 tolerance, NO ANTIALIASING, and contiguous, click in the filled colour, and hit delete. now fill with pink and all should be well.

Posted by member 182 on 2003-03-31 04:24:10 link

oh .. and make sure the layer you're filling with a solid colour is behind the bit of your theme you want to use :)