Old fashioned term Thread last updated on 2005-12-16 14:03:24

Posted by member 289563 on 2005-12-06 09:57:05

Hi

I have just joined the site and have not begun to make any changes to my standard windows desktop

This all started when I got bored of telletubbies and decided I want ed to change the desktop had a play in windows but no joy
what I really want is to have my desktop menu's windows buttons etc. to have a theme based on the old fashined Terminals where everything was monochrome green text on a black background

Now absolute black and green won't work i am sure as there will need to be some shades of grey and green to distinguish between active windows, selected items etc.
but I would like it to be simple, utilitarian and minimal

However I write documents and design networks using word and visio, these must not have the background of the screen changed as trying to edit a word document in green on black does not work ! niether does creatiung an effective visio diagram work in green on black

so in conclusion
Has anyone created anything like this in litestep?
Is litestep the thing for me to use or should i look elsewhere for what I want ?

all comments welcome apart from flames just because I am a Noob

yours
Nevyn

Posted by member 1885 on 2005-12-06 10:25:40 link

Welcome to litestep.net, prince Galrion :) (yes, I'm also a fan of Katherine Kerr)

I think what you're talking about is more related to windows color schemes/skinning than the interface itself... but it's definitely doable with LiteStep (by using the syscolor module for example). I'm not familiar with any "terminal" themes but I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of 'em out there. You should browse the theme database here on ls.net, maybe you can find something you like and then base your own design on that. If you're prepared to invest some time in configuring your interface, Litestep is definitely for you.

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-06 11:38:25 link

yeah...LS seems to be a bit of overkill for what you are trying to do. I think as soon as you look at the first page of themes you may see that...well maybe not...some of them do suck major p00. But anywho...there are a couple green and black text based themes out there in the themes section.

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-12-06 16:03:51 link

maybe you should check out 3dcc, I am sure there are plenty of those style themes out there for 3dcc.

Posted by member 280260 on 2005-12-06 17:37:16 link

If you're just talking changing window colors I'm sure you can find a WindowBlinds theme that does what you want. Check out http://www.stardock.net

Posted by member 289563 on 2005-12-07 07:39:55 link

Thanks for your input guys

I will investigate the 3dcc and Windowblinds options
are either of these free ?

Nevyn

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-12-07 20:12:06 link

maybe 3dcc is shareware or something... http://jote.pai.net.pl/jn/3dcc/?page=4

Posted by member 253679 on 2005-12-09 15:06:20 link

.: Admin Edit :. Yes...your post was deleted. It was deleted for posting illegal content. Do it again and you will be removed from the site.

Posted by member 253679 on 2005-12-09 16:18:53 link

The mention of a BT site and you delete my post , how lame .
Anal retentive springs to mind :/

So you couldn't leave the rest of my post ?
The parts that mentioned the dll patch for msstyles and the links to knowledge on how to use it.

Remove me from the site , I'll much enjoy tearing this piss weak, php msql driven POS apart \o/

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-12-09 16:42:14 link

DeV must have been in a good mood. I would have just banned you immediately for posting illegal content.

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-09 16:55:16 link

"bibi baby bibi"

and for everyone else's clarity...

I didn't kill it for the BitTorrent link...I realize that BitTorrent isn't an illegal service. It was the promotion of the pirating of commercial software. The MSStyle hack was a pirated version of StyleXP so it goes too.

To his credit though..he did link to customize.org

Posted by member 1316 on 2005-12-13 11:49:15 link

and then he threatens to hack the site...whadda mental midget

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-13 14:11:39 link

o...and to all the others that think this is a piss weak site. Don't try and BruteForce your way in...it is a waste of time...always is.

Posted by member 289563 on 2005-12-16 05:28:40 link

Hello Guys

Well what a turn up for the books
Who would have thought that an old skool engineer asking a little question about trying to backdate the look of his XP for a little nostalgia could generate a good old fasioned bar brawl in the ether.

so we have WYZ the gunslinger passing through town his quick-draw six shooter hung low on his belt. He sidles into the saloon and insults the townspeople and their laws.
In steps DeViLbOi the town sheriff and warns the gunslinger to leave town by nightfall or be locked up in the jail.

The gunslinger unclips his holster and says the the tin pot town "aint big enough for the both of us" and that the jail would never hold him.

Well the guns are drawn and unknown to the gunslinger the Sheriff was the fastest gun in the west.

He turns to the asembled folk and warns them that he won't have lawlessness in his town and that there is no point trying to challenge him all the while he is sheriff.

Sorry for that little departure but I was fascinated by the exchange and how it reminded me of the old western movies ;)

Thanks again for the comments
I have downloaded windowblinds but was dissapointed
I found a few themes that were almost but not quite
It seemed I was unable to take a theme and then change say the font colour from white to green

Also it seems that the backgrounds of all the applications were grey when I really need some apps like word and Visio to have white backgrounds (a kind of mix and match where I can chose which apps have grey/black and which are white)

any other idea's or anyone out there who want to have a go at making what I need in Litestep (If anyone would like the challenge just for the fun of course)

All the Best
Nevyn

Posted by member 1 on 2005-12-16 14:03:24 link

Actually it is possible to alter the colors in a theme. Under the Advanced Settings of WB you can select "Force colouring support on all skins." This will allow you to adjust highlight colors and the like. You can also change the font size shape and color under the same Advanced Settings down on the lower left. As for window backgrounds you can somewhat do what you want but I don't think you will be happy with the results. Basically what you have to do is select the grey that you want and then exclude all of the apps that you want to have a white background for and they will not be skinned.

Another option to WB is StyleXP.