Problems Thread last updated on 2005-09-20 16:01:20

Posted by member 268101 on 2005-09-20 03:18:40

1. It has troubles with itunes. It doesn't show it in the task bar, so I have to open it every time I want to do something in it. And is there anyway to get the pause and skip buttons to work for itunes?

2. Half of the icons in the task bar disappear, and do not show up.

3. Is there anyway to get rid of the unwanted icons on my desktop. I can click delete in the right-click menu, but they dont go away.

Can anyone help?

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-09-20 05:45:26 link

Are you using some named common configuration of litestep and various modules?
In other words, if you name the theme your using someone may be able to help you ;) (Better saying: "This theme has trouble" rather than: "It has trouble")

2. This might have something to do with that iTunes trouble, or is it different? (Just the icons?)

3. They dont go away? Are you "deleting" the actual items, or "removing" them from xDesktop config? (Or even worse r u using some different icon module?)

More people can help the more info you give us ;)
OS
Installer
Core version
Theme
Modules used
etc

Posted by member 268101 on 2005-09-20 09:51:22 link

Sorry.

I am using the default theme (Austerity?) that comes with
LiteStep Installer (omar) (69).

For the desktop icons, I am just trying to remove them from the desktop.

I have tried several other themes using the automatic installer to unzip and install, and they all do the same things.

Win XP pro
Installer: LiteStep Installer (omar) (69)
Core: No Clue
Theme: default (Austerity?)
Modules: No Clue

P.S. Please forgive my basic and almost non-existant knowledge of Litestep. I am new to Litestep. I just got tired of explorer sucking.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-09-20 10:29:39 link

Hmm are you running Litestep on top of Explorer? (Meaning, both at the same time.) If you are, don't do that. Just run Litestep alone (set it as your shell with the shortcut). You can run Litestep with explorer, but themes have to designed with that specifically in mind, which 99.9% of the themes you see on the net aren't.

Posted by member 268101 on 2005-09-20 10:32:03 link

No, at least Explorer isn't showing up in the process list.
Is there any other way to view running processes?

Posted by member 268101 on 2005-09-20 10:33:02 link

Man, I hope you guys can help me, because I refuse to go back to explorer :)

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-09-20 10:35:59 link

It sounds like you're saying that all other themes are still showing desktop icons? That's kind of unusual, since most themes don't have desktop icon support (you could be just getting those, though). You could try updating your build to RC3, which is also on this site. Just download it, and then right click your desktop >> Litestep >> utilities >> Update Build.

Oh, btw, you can get rid of the desktop icons in Austerity by opening the theme.rc file in the theme's root folder, and commenting out *NetLoadModule icondesk-0.66 by putting a ";" infront of it.

Posted by member 268101 on 2005-09-20 12:22:52 link

Ok, I was able to update to 3.0.2, but when I tried the other one, I got "Unable to find the file"C:\DOCUME~1\madmike\LOCALS~1\Temp\~AceTemp\LS-0.24.7-RC3\step.rc"

What is that and how do I get it to work?

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-09-20 12:34:26 link

I'm assuming "the other one" is the RC3 update? Do this:

Have a file manager window open to the folder with that RC3 update zip in it. Right click your desktop and go Litestep >> Quit. Another file manager window should open to the Litestep folder. Extract the RC3's zip's contents in to that folder with the litestep.exe in it, allowing files to be overwritten. Double click litestep.exe to restart Litestep.

Posted by member 268101 on 2005-09-20 12:50:13 link

ok thanks.

Oh yeah, to install modules, do I just copy the module dll's into the modules folder?

If that works, can I do the same for themes that won't install using the automatic installer?

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-09-20 12:55:25 link

You have now graduated to http://wiki.litestep.com/ . Enjoy!

edit - Hey, where did Cerbie's tuts go at the wiki site? I don't see them now...?

madmikeismad, given that I don't see the tutorials at the wiki site anymore, the best advice I am willing to give at this point is to start opening RC files in theme folders and their config folders (don't bother with rc files outside of theme folders yet, until you understand what's going on there). A lot of stuff is pretty evident. Also, take a look in the litestep\modules\docs folder and docs you don't see there you'll find in \litestep\modules folder, in the module's zips.

Posted by member 268101 on 2005-09-20 16:01:20 link

Ok. Thanks for all the help guys.