lsxcommand and xplorer^2 Interactions Thread last updated on 2005-09-11 05:13:37

Posted by member 211971 on 2005-09-06 21:14:36

Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, but not to LiteStep, and I think it's one of the most incredible pieces of software ever to hit Windows.

With that out of the way, I have a question that maybe someone might be able to help me with. Because it mainly has to deal with lsxcommand, I've put it in the Modules section, but feel free to move it if it doesn't fit.

I'm using the academic version of xplorer^2, and it's currently set as the default action for opening a "Directory" object in Windows. It's also set as the $FileBrowser$ evar. However, when I type an address (such as "C:\") into my theme's lsxcommand box, Windows Explorer opens it. Does anybody know of a way to force lsxcommand (or xplorer2, as it may be the problem as well) to behave correctly and provide the argument in lsxcommand to xplorer^2 so that it can open that particular folder/drive/directory? Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

If this has been asked before, I apologize, I didn't find anything pertaining to it while searching the forums.

EDIT: Some additional information.
The evar:
FileManager "C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2_lite\xplorer2.exe"

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-09-06 21:24:12 link

That sounds more like an issue with Windows, not Litestep (and not lsxcommand). I'm curious if when you type "c:" in to a run prompt (winkey+r) if it also opens explorer, instead of xplorer.

Posted by member 211971 on 2005-09-06 21:30:24 link

Whoops, did I double post? I accidentally posted this first to 'Themes' for some brain-dead reason, then moved it here. My apologies.

Putting a drive/directory in a Windows Run box produces the correct response: It opens xplorer2, and displays the requested drive/directory.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-09-06 21:33:37 link

I wonder if there's a missing registry entry for xplorer2's association. I use Directory Opus, and the lsxcommand works perfectly for it.

Maybe you didn't double post... I'm retarded sometimes. I thought I saw it, but don't now. o.O

Posted by member 211971 on 2005-09-06 21:35:26 link

Directory Opus looks absolutely wonderful, I was thinking of giving it a try if xplorer^2 continued to be a jerk about co-operating.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-09-06 21:42:00 link

I've tried tons of file managers, and ended up always returning to dopus. If you do check it out, just make sure to remove the /e references in your popup.rc (in the litestep\personal\ folder) and change $bitbucket$ to /trash (same file).

Posted by member 211971 on 2005-09-06 22:24:58 link

Okay, it's definitely lsxcommand. I've screwed up my registry to the point where all drives and directories open in xplorer^2, even if I'm in an explorer window when I open the folder/drive. It works in the Windows Run Box, it doesn't work in the lsxcommand on my theme.

Well, at least I have a more refined question, now: Does anybody know how lsxcommand decides to handle its input, how it decides what programs open what, and where that can be changed? I'll go through the documentation again and post again if I find anything.

Posted by member 211971 on 2005-09-06 23:08:33 link

Found it!
Needed to comment out 'CommandExplorePaths' in personal.rc.
Thanks for your help xcal.
DOpus looks ridiculously awesome, but I don't have 60 dollars to spend on software, just yet. Maybe in a couple months.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-09-06 23:14:08 link

Glad to help, even if it was inadvertently. :D

On a side note, that setting doesn't bother dopus - I have it set. Must be certain FMs, I guess.

Posted by member 45783 on 2005-09-11 05:13:37 link

DOpus is well worth the money you invest in it. I bought a two-license version for my computers and am not regretting it.