If you were a programmer... Thread last updated on 2005-09-18 17:39:36

Posted by member 1885 on 2005-08-30 23:28:35

...what LiteStep module(s) would you create?

All right, this thread is just for fun but maybe it could also be useful for module coders looking for ideas. Simply try to come up with one or more modules you would code if you were a programmer. It doesn't have to be a feasible idea, neither does it have to be useful to anyone but you. Anything goes.

Posted by member 1885 on 2005-08-30 23:28:58 link

OK, to start this off there are three modules I'd create:

LSMeter.dll, a meter module like Rainmeter, but without ini files, standalone mode and general messiness.

LSPlayer.dll, a full-blown media player for LiteStep, i.e. not just a Winamp/foobar/etc front end.

LSSkinner.dll, a windows-skinning module along the lines of BBWinSkin, with both bitmap and solid color support. Basically it would create a window frame and caption and have a number of different widgets for buttons/frames to choose from in solid color mode.

Posted by member 258027 on 2005-08-31 00:24:54 link

heh.. if it's just a wish list here goes :

shellExtensions.dll, mimic shell extensions of windows or linux (this is probably more of a LS hard code dealy), with the ability to turn on or off certain functions - like *cough* blank media recognition.

network.dll, a wonderful little ditty built into LS to allow PC manipulation anywhere, with security (i.e., the windows XP-ish ability to use your "PC Anywhere" just with logins and password protection). Yes, Im asking someone to make LS a toy for making networks easy to setup over local and web based networking (you said it was what I would want...)

if at all possible, it would be kinda cool to make a program that could convert specific sized bmp's (or, whatever) into usable icons for LS. Not everyone has photoshop, and the wonderful plug-ins that the rest of us have...

LSPlayer would definately be cool. That totally has my vote.

Thanks for the fun idea

Amejin

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-09-13 23:00:06 link

VisualStyle.dll - Either load a VS for windows to use or Use the current windows VS to skin Litestep.

Windows.dll - Move resize stretch warp twist windows (just like MacOS does it) but this would be more of a taskbar addon.

LookFocus.dll - When I press tab it actually tabs to where I am looking, not just the next one down (tab backwards etc)

Posted by member 12025 on 2005-09-14 22:02:49 link

Style Importer, which would allow for binary modules to add different display options, such as native windows skinning types, images, BB styles, etc.., and the ability to change them, such that anything using it would also change (make style changes during run-time, fire an apply command, and all are reloaded).

However, it'd be crazy-hard to get working :).

WinControls: a module to allow the use of dropdown boxes, list boxes, comob boxes, text boxes, text areas, checkboxes, and radio button groups.

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-09-14 23:06:58 link

Wincontrols: ckDialog dude

Posted by member 12025 on 2005-09-15 02:56:20 link

How so? AFAIK, ckDialog only deals with whole windows.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-09-15 02:58:29 link

[hijack]Is there a theme out there that uses ckDialog? I don't think I've seen one before.[/hijack]

Posted by member 1 on 2005-09-15 03:32:33 link

[hijack] Yes...LDE by leafy phil[/hijack] Now lets get back on track folks!

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-09-18 04:09:39 link

ImageColors.dll Scans an image and outputs a range of the colors:
Highlight: The lightest (common) color used
Average: The average color (most common)
Shadow: The darkest (common) color used

or even more...

That would be cool. Themes that fit any wallpaper :D

Posted by member 1949 on 2005-09-18 10:06:27 link

I'd like to see Id3 tags used better
to extract and see album art in a label...

And how about a complete weather module!

Also dynamicaly resizing labels click and drag to resize?
And not done by scripting...

Anything else?

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-09-18 17:23:38 link

" extract and see album art"
album art inside ID3 tags? I dont think so. The M$ Media Plyer album art is just a specially named image in the album folder.
You could do that in a label ;)

"dynamicaly resizing labels"
You mean xLabels resize borders?:
"ResizeBorder LEFT RIGHT TOP BOTTOM or (LEFT/RIGHT) (TOP/BOTTOM) or (LEFT/RIGHT/TOP/BOTTOM)
If set to 4, 2 or 1 INT value(s), a virtual border with the specified size is put at the matching side of the label, with which you can resize the label On-The-Fly like normal windows =)"
???

Posted by member 1949 on 2005-09-18 17:39:36 link

There is to much info in those readme's, not that its a bad thing.

But how the hell did I miss ResizeBorder's
me go's and bangs head on wall...

Thanks bro for the heads up.