sorry i need help Thread last updated on 2005-09-14 06:08:06

Posted by member 261914 on 2005-08-26 23:40:14

How do I install these things?

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-08-27 00:03:01 link

...and you have tried what so far?

Posted by member 261914 on 2005-08-27 00:30:34 link

ermm i dunno i dont have anything to do anything I dunno how to even work this?

Posted by member 261914 on 2005-08-27 00:30:47 link

I'ma total NUB

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-08-27 00:57:22 link

Posted by member 1 on 2005-08-27 01:07:39 link

you know...Im really getting tired of these threads. Its like a 18 yr old asking "How do I start the car?" If you don't know then maybe you just shouldn't be driving.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-08-27 01:13:18 link

Haha ya, really.

I don't mind helping people with simple stuff, but when they haven't even tried anything... like wtf heh

Posted by member 1885 on 2005-08-27 02:50:31 link

I agree. If you don't even know how to install a program, maybe you're a little out of your depth using LiteStep.

The most fascinating thing is that these jokers have no dignity whatsoever. They come in here, happily admitting that they're too dumb and/or lazy to figure *anything* out on their own. That's why "noob" has become a derisive term; it has nothing to do with being new to something anymore. It's a word people who can't find their own a-holes with both hands and a flashlight use to describe themselves.

Posted by member 261468 on 2005-08-27 13:17:02 link

wow, the warmth of these boards is overwhelming :p.

Posted by member 258027 on 2005-08-27 13:18:25 link

:( I swear, some people might like a plain text help file.

http://litestep.rtreal.com

Please don't take the frustration of these guys as a reason not to try. Just... don't be an idiot. Try things. Make things break. When you can't fix them, come back to us and ask a qustion.

Also, google is your friend.

Good luck,

Amejin

Posted by member 1885 on 2005-08-28 00:09:03 link

wow, the warmth of these boards is overwhelming :p.

I can only speak for myself. Don't let my (my sometimes vitriolic) responses represent the ls.net forums at a whole. I'm sure they're actually brimming with cuddly-wuddly feelings and we all love each other. DeViLbOi sure loves you all, and if he sounds grumpy it's just because he hasn't had enough hugs or a cookie. Hug DeViLbOi and he will provide you with the answers you seek. Begin your new thread with *hug* or *cookie* and he'll be much happier and more willing to cooperate.

But I, the fearful West, have no patience with people who deliberately make themselves dumber than they actually are. I know for a fact that it's actually possible to figure out 99% of all common LiteStep problems on your own. Believe me, I was once there myself. I have no obligation to be nice to you though. All right, neither does DeViLbOi but he's an admin and I'm not.

Like most of us, the people answering your noob questions, we do this because we think this is such a wonderful piece of software and we love new users. Agreed, it might not seem that way, but that's just because you're saying the wrong things and asking the wrong questions. In other words, an intelligent and well formulated topic is worth much more than "OMGLOLWTFSTFU dis not teh working some1 PLZ help plzzzzzzzzzzz".

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-08-28 02:45:20 link

Its the same thing all over the internet.

This is a really great link i found in the general stickies:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Everyone should be forced to read it entirely. (Maybe just add it to the sites forced login requirement! haha!)

Posted by member 12025 on 2005-08-28 06:48:25 link

Yes, the problem is stupidity and laziness, not ignorance. If you're willing to try to read the sitckies and other docs, and try to figure out what is wrong, or what you can't figure out, that's an order of magnitude better than, "I don't know anything about this, and am not willing to look. TELL ME!"

There are stickies. There is good info in the links posted. Google can get you some good stuff, even if some is old.

Posted by member 261468 on 2005-08-28 07:55:41 link

As a long time poster on message boards on various subjects, I do understand the frustrations expressed. I don't really even think they are very innappropriate reactions. It *does* get tiring when you see posts like this over and over and over and over again...

As advocates of litestep, however, I would think one would want to try to suppress the urges to beat the ignorant posters over a head with a 2x4 every time they posted a thread, in the interest of raising the awareness of this program in a positive manner.

Holy hell that was a long sentence!

Anyway, hi, I'm Friblet :)

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-08-28 22:25:28 link

Hi Friblet :)

I think its better to raise awareness that LS users need the right attitude (if they want to stay sane while theming).

Posted by member 1316 on 2005-08-30 18:38:20 link

i started using LS around 3 years ago, and I didn't any problems i couldn't solve for around the first 6 months. and trust me, I was changing stuff, and breaking stuff, and having a grand old time the whole way. but after breaking stuff, I was able to fix it, cause I took a couple minutes and actually READ THE ERRORS. it's insane how many people come to us with errors, and the errors themselves actually tell you what to do to fix themselves. but, people are too ignorant/lazy/whatever to do it themselves.

Posted by member 162523 on 2005-09-14 05:13:00 link

I discovered litestep about a year ago... and I had no problems finding info on the net. The easiest start to creating a theme is reading the tutorials and use the knowledge you learned (hopefully you did learn something) and edit an existing theme. I used a theme called winter and added new plugins, changed colors etc. That way it´s alot easier to learn because you can see the finished code and just alter it to your needs. I love litestep and it isn´t as difficult as it seems when you get into it.

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-09-14 06:08:06 link

Litestep ruined my life. I cant go without it now, and when I have to use explorer, I'm always so judgmental "WTF is that doing there!?!, it should be over ther where I can use it!"
And not being able to skin/configure the most essential part of the OS is just irritating.

But really krapduude is right: The best way to learn is to mess with what is allready available (other themes)