newbie - some basic questions? Thread last updated on 2005-08-25 18:06:58

Posted by member 260425 on 2005-08-21 21:22:07

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Litestep and have some basic questions, hoping someone can help me out here:

1 - I'm looking to install XDesktop to get some icons up there. It just contains a DLL. Do I put this in the root Litestep directory and reference it in some file? How do I do this?

2 - How do I change the clock from 24-hour time to 12-hour time?

3 - The theme I'm using has this annoying sound effect that plays whenever another application needs my attention, how do I disable this?

4 - And lastly, how do I remap a Winamp control button? This theme doesn't have an eject button, just a "playlist" button... quite annoying. Would like to make the playlist button open files instead.

Thanks everyone...

+++ath0
NO CARRIER

Posted by member 258027 on 2005-08-21 21:58:03 link

For the most part, you can find all of this out by looking in the help files for the modules used. (With the exception of the clock - I looked, and couldnt find it).

xDesktop's help file can be found in the zip file contained in your module archive. It will be something like this:

C:\LiteStep\modules\archive\xdesktop-1.6.5.zip

As for the sound and clock, I am at as much of a loss as you are.

The win-amp button "should" be defined in your systray .rc file. Open it with notepad and edit the !execute function. If it's not there, Im sure someone better suited will catch my blunder and help you :)

Good luck,

Amejin

Posted by member 12025 on 2005-08-21 22:26:31 link

1. http://wiki.litestep.com/Themes:Development:Uniform_Desktop
Customize it for your needs and wants.

2. Depends on the module used for the clock. I think xLabel and Label use the same formatting.

3. Find the WAV file, and delete it. If it complains, search in the config files for the WAV file's name, and remove those sttings.

4. If the button uses text, search for that text. If an image, find that image, then search for it in the .rc files. Once you've found it, change what it does (how you do that will depend on the module used).

Note that Windows 2000 and Windows XP can search for strings inside of text files, to make this a bit easier.

Posted by member 258027 on 2005-08-22 16:53:40 link

Cerbie is so smrt.

:D

Posted by member 148416 on 2005-08-22 21:46:18 link

Yeh I think the answer to all these questions is: find the module you want to change, then read how to change it.

Litestep works by loading modules to perform tasks or create objects, then you have to tell litestep (in .rc files) the details of these tasks and objects.

Each module will come with documentation be it great or not so great.

In your theme's directory there will be a "theme.rc" this is the mother .rc file which will (in most cases) contain lots of *NetLoadModule lines followed by the names of all the modules being loaded.

All of those modules are potential culprets (sp?) in your quest to change feature "x".

Good luck :)

Posted by member 260425 on 2005-08-23 07:50:21 link

thanks for your responses... that little xDesktop tutorial write-up made it very easy to implement. Just trying to figure out how to change the font color of the desktop icons now.. think I can figure that out.

It turns out the audio file that was playing wasn't even part of the theme, it was Opera's voice recognition software kicking in. The theme has a feature where it blinks scroll lock when there is another window that needs attention... for some reason Opera was interpreting some type of audio input and kept playing an "error" wave file.

Turns out the theme has an option somewhere to change the clock settings to 12-hour time, thankfully.

The winamp controls don't use text, but I'm going to go searching the .rc files for it...

thanks again,

+++ath0
NO CARRIER

Posted by member 258027 on 2005-08-25 18:06:58 link

(I know this is a reitteration - but Im trying to help in case he missed it)

if it does not use text, it uses a picture. Somewhere in the .rc files youll find a bunch of references to pictures - probably with very streamline names like "play.jpg" or "rewind.bmp"

Search for those, and youll find your .rc that controls what each button does. (Probably)

Good luck,

Amejin